I am coming up to 3 weeks after bunion and hammer toe surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I just wondered how badly swollen most peoples feet after having this surgery?. My foot is seeming to settle down. It is fine in the mornings but gets a bit swollen when I go out in the walker boot. I try to keep it elevated as much as I can throughout the day but inevitably there are times when it is not convenient.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi John, I'm pleased to hear you are getting out and about and that you seem to be doing really well.  I am 9 weeks now and mine still gets very swollen in the evenings if I overdo it.  You are doing the right thing by elevation as much as you can. I can't emphasise how important that is.  I also find an ice pack helps to take the swelling down. Best wishes
  • Posted

Hi John.... I had my OP last October and my feet... yes double

bunionecotomy... and swelling was a come and go part of

recovery and as you say not always convenient to elevate when

things need seeing too. I have just returned from a weeks

holiday and by the end of the day the swelling was quite

noticeable all these months along. Sometimes even spending a day pottering around at home they can swell and also still ache

so occasionally I still soak them in warm water with some

epsom salts added and rub in foot cream or Bio oil.

• Posted

Hi john. I am 9 weeks post op having both feet done. Its funny, because as I read this post I had just taken a picture of my feet while still in bed. They look great in the morning after they've been smothered with bio oil and and covered in a loose bandage for the night. I also have a measuring tape which is stuck to me all the time. There can be as much as 5/8 of an inch between how they are in the morning and during the day. I still rest a lot, never overdo it and ive started having Epsom salt soaks in the evening. But even when my feet are at their smallest in the morning I still can't get into any of my pre op sandals. Im assured that this will get better but its difficult waiting for this to happen. For you though, at only 3 weeks and noticing changes in your levels of swelling can only be a good thing. Mine seemed to be swollen all the time. Good luck to you and I hope you continue to see improvements.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.