I am considering multifocal lens implants and want to know about night visual changes

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 58, wear multifocal glasses but am very active playing sports (indoor soccer, squash, beach volley ball, cycling) and was wondering if people have had any experience with these activities after having replacement multifocal lens surgery.

I am quite motivated to be independant from my glasses, especially for my sporting activities.

I am aware that the nature of multifocal lenses will give halos around lights at night as a side effect, but what is it like driving a car at night, and watching movies both at the cinema and on your computer?

Thank you for your advice

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I just came on here hoping there would be more discussions about lens replacement surgery. I went for a consultation last night, I already had my mind made up that if I was suitable for laser surgery I would go ahead with it but then found out that won't solve my problems!

I got a bit carried away after all the tests and talking and have booked an appointment (and paid a deposit) for lens replacement.

I'm now wondering if I'm mad, what if there's a problem and I end up with worse sight than I have now.

What if I spend all that money and it doesn't make much difference.

Of course it could end up being the best thing I ever do.

I'm also wondering if it will be easy adapting to the multifocal lenses and how noticeable the halo effects will be.

Sorry I've not been much help to you but hopefully this will keep it near the top of the list for a bit longer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.