I am diabetic and my eyes are seeing things.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have got little black dots and what appear to be little threads of cotton drifting across my eyes. Should i worry as they have been there for about a week.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I must say though that my eyesight is very sharp and I can see below the red line for driving. in fact I can almost see who printed the chart.

• Posted

Do have your eyes checked..I am diabetic too and had floaters...but my Pvd...started with floaters...you don't say your age...I still have them now ....

• Posted

When did you last have your eyes examined Terry?

You say you are diabetic, so because of that, I would suggest going to see an optometrist just to be sure.

Let us know how you get on - are you in the UK?

• Posted

sounds like floaters. Do go see your eye doctor to be sure everything looks good

• Posted

hi just seen you are retired....at this age it is very common to have a Pvd....it's age related...I have had it in both eyes and yes it starts with floaters and wriggle lines....go along to your optician he will beable to check what's going on...it must be checked as you can have a detached retina if left...it may seem worrying but it is age related and I was told nearly everyone has it in later years..the joy of getting older...😊

• Posted

hi all and thank you for your replies, I have been type one diabetic for 40 years, I've had some work done on my eyes and always had regular check up at both BVH and my Optometrist. my diabetes is very well controlled and I have got a general check at BVH in mid October, so I thought I should keep that one and not upset the NHS system by trying to bring the appointment forward. what is the general thought on that?

• Posted

a couple of things come to mind:

1. Are you under the care of an endocrinologist for your diabetes? If not, then I suggest you get one. A GP is not the best person to supervise your care; and
    2. Your post reveals you may have one symptom of diabetic retinopathy:

a) Spots or dark strings floating in your vision (floaters)

But there are others:

b) Blurred vision

c) Fluctuating vision

d) Dark or empty areas in your vision

e) Impaired color vision

I would first find a good endocrinologist and then get the eyes checked by an opthamologist.

• Posted

I would first find a good endocrinologist and then get the eyes checked by an ophthalmologist.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.