I am distraught and feel hopeless

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have depression. I actually take antidepressants. I am 15, and my mom doesn’t understand how bad it is. If I tell her, she may say it’s an excuse to get out of doing homework. I have bad grades, and I have a feeling my relapse and depression has something to do with it. I recently got off the phone with my therapist, and I hope that’ll make a change. But right now, I feel distraught, hopeless, and alone. I know I’m not alone, but that doesn’t necessarily help this feeling. 

Also have a sister who is medically fragile.  And I want her to be OK, but it’s just super hard right now dealing with my stuff.

I just want this to be over. It’s just so painful. Depression hurts.  

4 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Aw bless you Zoe, you brave girl for writing on here firstly. I think as a teenager you have so much to cope with you don't know where to start. Have you got any body you can reach out to? You need to offload to someone closer to home. Your sister may understand especially if she's struggling too, you could unite against bad people who are making you feel like this! I hope someone is there for you. You need a break I think. Hope this year finishes OK. If not good luck in the new one. X

• Posted

Hi Zoe what a load you're carrying and though you feel so depressed you are coping well in spite of things. Would you consider trusting your mother and telling her the truth about how you feel anyway? Talking about our feelings and situation takes the power out of it. Sorry your sister is sick and you have such a big heart to care about her so much. But her being sick does not take away from your needs so don't minimize your needs and wants. Ok. Keep us posted. We care about you. Diane

• Posted

Hi Zoe,

I became depressed around that age, I’m 19 now, still dealing with depression, but I must say it has gotten better. If you haven’t done so, I suggest you sit down with your mother and counselor, and explain to your mother exactly how you feel, how it effects your ability to function, and what she can do to support you. People have a hard time understanding things that they have not experienced themselves. 

In regards to your grades, my advice is to not let a letter from the alphabet define who you are and what you are capable of. You know that you are smart and you can do the work, but you are dealing with an illness right now. If college is your goal, you don’t have to have a 4.0 to go to college, and you can always write a letter to the College and let them know why your grades were low your freshman/sophomore year.  With that being said, if you know your grades are triggering your depressed mood, you should talk to each teacher individually after school and tell them that you are dealing with a mental illness, you’re struggling, and you need more time to complete the work. I’m sure they will be understanding. 

I wish you the best, stay strong! 

• Posted

Hi. You seem to have a good heart and a good head on you. The fact that you are getting help is a great start and hopefully this should show your Mum that your illness is serous and not a get out clause. Maybe you could talk to your councillor about how is best to approach your Mum and explain things to her. Your councillor may even be able to speak to her about it if she thinks that will help you. 

You could also ask if there is any allowance in your exams for you having depression

It's hard when you have depression when you are young and have exams. I have now noticed when I am feeling low and can usually snap out of it. I also found/find that doing something helps. Getting out with friends and doing positive things you like could help. 

Also, if your Mum has never had depression then it could be hard for her to understand what you are going through. 

I hope you get the support from people around you that you feel you need to get through this. 

• Posted

Hi Dark

I sorry that you are feeling low. Depression can get the best of us sometimes, but please try not to let it. How long have you been on the meds? Yes depression is very painful I experience it also. I’m glad that you called the therapist. Great move. You are correct, you are not alone and you can always come here to talk this is a safe place for you. Everybody here cares about you and wants to support you. You mentioned a key word “may” regarding your mother. Maybe talking to her could be a good thing. If it doesn’t work call the therapist or doctor. I am so sorry about your sister. Your going to need support regarding that once again you can go to your mother, doctor, therapist, hot line or here and talk about it. The meds are important has it been long enough for them to kick in? Sometimes may cause a teen to have thoughts about leaving us. Don’t leave us get help call the doctor who gave you the meds and tell them about your thoughts. I wish you the best don’t be afraid to come back here and speak we do not judge

Much lovr

• Posted

I’ve been on meds roughly 2 to 3 years. I also have ADHD. And I’m also blind. My mom is also bipolar.

My therapist is going to talk to my mom, but as it stands, she’ll think it’s an excuse. She loves me, but she also is drained I guess.   

• Posted

Wow how are you reading this if you are blind? You have a lot on your plate. If the meds are not working the dr may have to adjust them. Going outside helps even if you just sit out there. The therapist will be able to talk to your mom in a way that she will understand. If she is bi polar he will know how to explain things to her. Please hang in there and keep coming back here to talk and vent at least until things calm down a little bit for you
    • Posted

You have a lot going on! Are there people that you can turn to for support or at least some sort of companionship to hopefully help to raise your spirits a bit? 

If not, have you asked your councillor if there are any support groups nearby that you can go to? 

• Posted

On my phone, I have a thing called a screen reader. It reads what’s on the screen. Also, I can use speech to text or type on the keyboard. Apple has built-in accessibility software. 
    • Posted

Amazing! Your mom may surprise you! You have so much going on. You have proven that you are strong. You must keep fighting this disease. Please keep fighting! Try to find something that comforts you so that you will be able to relax.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.