I am due a cervical screening test and I am worried that it might cause pain. What do you advise?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am going through the peri menopause and have never had full intercourse as I have panic attacks because of past sexual abuse. I was advised not to have one in my twenties and given an alternative test in a private clinic. I'm worried that I might get cancer.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rachel. I'm so sorry to hear about the abuse that you suffered and perfectly understand your fears. Cervical screening is extremely important and every woman should have it. Go to your doctor or practice nurse and explain your concerns, there are many things that can be done to make the experience less of an ordeal. The fact that you have never had full intercourse should not be a problem. Believe it or not there are many women who have not been sexually active who have cervical smear or psp tests without problem. See your doctor or nurse, you won't be the first woman who has similar problems.

• Posted

Pap test, not psp!
  • Posted

Hi Rachel

After having chemo in 2014 which brought on the menopause, I have experienced a lot of pain down below and vaginal dryness.  There are some pessaries and creams available on prescription that can ease the symptoms. I was due for my first smear test since the chemo last October and dreaded it.  I broke down in front of the nurse because I couldn't go through with it.  I made an appointment with a female doctor who was very sympathetic and very gentle.  It was still quite uncomfortable, but I did some deep breathing and tried to focus on other things which did help. Cervical screening is very important so please go.  I built it all up in my head, but it wasn't as bad as I thought.  Please be brave and go along.  Hope this helps.... good luck, hun! :-) xx

• Posted

Firstly the smear test is not as scary as it seems.  They simply put lots of lube on the sputum and then it is inserted.  Once inside it takes a small sample which is sometimes uncomfortable but not painful or shouldn't be.  I would make an appointment to see the Practice Nurse and let her know of your worries.  She will talk you through any worries that you may have and go through the procedure with you in detail.  

• Posted

Dear Rachel, that is not painful at all. Don't be worried about it. It feels like you want to pee 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.