I am extremly depressed because of Cauda Equina syndrome/CES/low back pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I had severe pains in my lower back which I thought was SI joint pain for about 8 months and 3 months ago I consulted Orthopedic who did pa spine x ray and said it was lumbar radiculopathy and gave me one NSAID and one muscle relaxant along with physiotherapy for ten day which included TEN and hot water fomentation. The Doc did not ordered MRI.on 31 Aug.2016 I flew to my country and felt some pain,my elder brother insisted on seeing a neurophysion who ordered MRI and said I needed surgery in 24-48hours which I refused due to financial reasons, the Doc said I may wait for 3 days and after if I will not feel better then surgery is a must and right away.

I am very stressed as I can afford the surgery and also fear I will not be able to continue my job as Dentist in middle East, I am on one month annual leave which will end on 7th step 2016.Its the 10th day I have been diagnosed with CES but I do not have and pains or any urinery or bowl issues,I only feel some strain or slight prick like pain with a sensation of friction or malalignment of some bone kinda feeling for a couple of seconds and by controlled movement during sitting or laying it doesn't happen.

This is my MRI report

Loss of normal lumbar lordosis which is due to muscular spasm.

Spinal cord terminates at the level of L1.

Mild to moderate degree of degenerative changes along with the anterior lumbar spine.

Disc degeneration at the L2/3 and L3/4.

At the level of L3/4 generalized disc bulg with posterocenteral disc protrusion causing narrowing of both exit foramina with impingement of both existing nerve roots.

Severe compression of cauda equina with moderate to severe degree spinal canal stenosis due to disc protrusion.

Mild degree of degenerative changes are noted in the facet joints bilaterally with slight hypertrophy of the ligamentum flavum.

At the level of L4/5 there is generalized disc bulge.

There is mild to moderate degree impingement of the intraspinal nerve roots with stenosis of the lateral recesses bilaterally.

Please guide me and tell me if there is any chance of recovery without surgery or any other treatment if possible.

Thanks and regards

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am so sorry to hear about your ces,please if I can give you some support. I had a vaginal hysterectomy and my bladder was tore in have April 2015 . I'm 35 athletic good health my ces came on very slow but it ended up causing major bowel and bladder issues and drop foot on both feet.. Ces if not taken care of quickly can turn serious in a matter of hours the most extreme causing paralysis from the waist down even. I am not trying to scare you and I truly sympathize for you ..financially I can only imagine how tough that can be but its only paper and your life is worth more than paper .. Please don't let this go this is very serious and reading your mri report tells you just how serious this is .. Hospitals have financial help , ask see what is available .. If I can help with any other questions please feel free to message me ... Thinking of you

• Posted

I really think you need to have the surgery I was miss diagnosed an now I cannot walk without having to use crutche are a cane I just had surgery back in March 12 2016 I had an eight week recovery before I was can really get up an get around now I am hopping that I can get a little more mobility, I don't feel the numbness as bad in my feet like was before surgery I have been in aquatic therapy it has helped a lot so please think about it with an open mine.

• Posted

Forgot to mention my age 57 year old female self employed owner of a child care early learning center. CES started at age of 52.
  • Posted

Syef

Unfortunately you have compression of the nerve root which is common with a central lesion. With compression that does not compromise the Cauda Equina nerves you can make a decision to wait. Cauda Equina syndrome is 100 percent preventable if treated early. If you think you are depressed now just wait till bowels and bladder and drop foot kicks in. Please listen to the doctor. At least he caught it for you. Don't wait!

Write back

chrioli

• Posted

I forgot to mention my age,gender and profession.

Age 38

Gender Male

Dental surgeon

• Posted

I forgot to mention my age,gender and profession.

Age 38

Gender Male

Dental surgeon

• Posted

Can I share my Fb link to show my MRI?
  • Posted

Don't muck about u must have the surgery. I was left for 6 day with complete compression of the lower nerve root. I had urgent surgery in kings hospital London I sued and won but I have lost my old life I am weak right leg with foot drop. After the operation I tried to carry on . I was unfit for work so given medical retirement from the ministry of defences UK . had 2 major fall was in hospital for 2 months before that I stop going to toilet my bladder was 1st I had a subic catheter. Away over the last 8 years I have had 7 major ops I had a ileal conduit urstomy stoma. Then my bowel stopped work so I had a colostomy the my bladder was removed as it went sepitic the 3 major hernia operations. The pain is worse then before. I am going to have neruomudulation a disc put in the back that will break up the pain signal. When I went to hospital I was sent by my doctor. The NHS failed me if I had been operated on I would be a lot better then I am. If they had done themir scan earlier . my life as changed. U must have this decompression. If u don't u will lose ur way of life. Burrow the money.

Cauda enquine means horse tail that's all the nerves for ur lower half once the decompression is done they can heal mine did not. My back is a mess right the way up that from my last mir scan . the pain are bad I have been told I am the worse case of ces. I have established ces. You don't want that. I was 50 I am 58 8 years of hell. Don't wait.

• Posted

Yes Keith I strongly agree with you my life has changed and not for the good I have been struggling for about six years can't walk at all without a cane are crutch.

• Posted

Thank you Keith.every second of time brings a hell of stress and depression sad

But I am feeling that there is no chance of avoiding the surgery.

Thank you all for your support and suggestions.may Allah heal every sufferer and give complete health to you all and me,Aameen.

Thanks and regards.

• Posted

You are lucky to be in a country where they have facilities to treat Cauda equina syndrome.

I have been suffering from bowel and urine incontinence for 15 years and still counting after I had an untreated case of CES which led to nerve damage.

Now I hear there are several treatment options but lack of finance has made it diffi ult for me to travel outside my country to have the treatment done.

Please go for the surgery fast to avoid the mess I'm In right now..I can't go out without wearing adult pull up absorbent underwear and this has made my life a total deviation from what it use to be.

I pray that I get support someday to have my condition properly examined.

• Posted

I am so sorry, may Allah ease your life and open the doors for you. May Allah cure your illness and create means for your health to recover to normal. Aameen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.