I am extremly depressed because of Cauda Equina syndrome/CES/low back pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I had severe pains in my lower back which I thought was SI joint pain for about 8 months and 3 months ago I consulted Orthopedic who did pa spine x ray and said it was lumbar radiculopathy and gave me one NSAID and one muscle relaxant along with physiotherapy for ten day which included TEN and hot water fomentation. The Doc did not ordered MRI.on 31 Aug.2016 I flew to my country and felt some pain,my elder brother insisted on seeing a neurophysion who ordered MRI and said I needed surgery in 24-48hours which I refused due to financial reasons, the Doc said I may wait for 3 days and after if I will not feel better then surgery is a must and right away.

I am very stressed as I can afford the surgery and also fear I will not be able to continue my job as Dentist in middle East, I am on one month annual leave which will end on 7th step 2016.Its the 10th day I have been diagnosed with CES but I do not have and pains or any urinery or bowl issues,I only feel some strain or slight prick like pain with a sensation of friction or malalignment of some bone kinda feeling for a couple of seconds and by controlled movement during sitting or laying it doesn't happen.

This is my MRI report

Loss of normal lumbar lordosis which is due to muscular spasm.

Spinal cord terminates at the level of L1.

Mild to moderate degree of degenerative changes along with the anterior lumbar spine.

Disc degeneration at the L2/3 and L3/4.

At the level of L3/4 generalized disc bulg with posterocenteral disc protrusion causing narrowing of both exit foramina with impingement of both existing nerve roots.

Severe compression of cauda equina with moderate to severe degree spinal canal stenosis due to disc protrusion.

Mild degree of degenerative changes are noted in the facet joints bilaterally with slight hypertrophy of the ligamentum flavum.

At the level of L4/5 there is generalized disc bulge.

There is mild to moderate degree impingement of the intraspinal nerve roots with stenosis of the lateral recesses bilaterally.

Please guide me and tell me if there is any chance of recovery without surgery or any other treatment if possible.

Thanks and regards

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It's saying ur in compression I was left do u possibly want mobility problems a colostomy and a urostmoystoma ileal conduit like I have. I have another compression in c6 c7 my shouldst hands tingle I have trouble rising my right arm I will push for it to be done my back top to bottom is a mess.

Don't leave it.

Your keith

• Posted

I do understand what the consequences can be.

I consulted an other neurosurgeon for second opinion who said surgery is not indicated as I do not have any signs and symptoms except for little pain in my pelvic region bilateraly on movements and findings on the MRI.

Now I am more confused after two opinions

I will take third opinion and will go for 2 outa 3.

I feel sorry foy you Dear keith, may Allah heal your illness and make your life easy and may grant you recovery with full health. Aameen.

• Posted

Syef

All of the signs and symptoms of CES can be subtle and confusing at first for you let alone for someone giving you an outside opinion. In my case the outside opinion was wrong and now living with CES is a life altering mess that could have been avoided. Pay attention to your bodily cues and don't let a second or third opinion drown out your own instincts. Be well!

• Posted

Yes you are right Chrioli the sign and symptoms are almost abscent or subtle which has confused me but as a medical professional I know what the problem is and what it may lead to.

I just got an opinion from an Arny retired neurosurgeon who is practicing in a private hospital,he said surgery is the final and urgent solution.

So now I will go for surgery in the name of Allah (God) the merciful, th magnificent, and the healer.

I need your prayers and all of those who read my post .

Hipefully I will try to be in contact and update my

• Posted

Status.

Thanks and regards

Dr.Syed (syef313)

• Posted

Syef

My prayers are with you! May you be safe and in His merciful and magnificent care!

Update us as you can.

Chrioli

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.