I am going to stop taking and I am terrified of the withdrawal period. nobody knows I am on them.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been buying them on line and I got carried away sometimes taking up to 30 a day. I stopped enjoying taking them. I feel like I've become a slave to them. I think I'm going to ask my GP for help. Any advice?

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hey Alexandra, WD is pretty much flu but much much worse but also add stomach cramps. bad stomach, throwing up constantly and depression. That's at it's worse. So on day 3 if you feel as though you have flu with restless feet then take it as a wise decision by you. Just don't make the mistake in the future when you are clean to start taking them again cos "if I quit once I can do it again"!! It's not like cigs or drink. 

Okay....stay strong.

• Posted

Well almost through day 4... and I'm doing this!! And there is no worry about going back on them..thinking i could beat it again cuz I wouldn't even dream of doing this to myself again . Cuz as far as I'm concerned I don't think I could do this again. I would just stay on them forever..which also is an unrealistic idea!! So no there will be no going back for me. I got some sleeping pills from doc today so hopefully I can regain some decent sleep. Hope they work cuz the last 2 nights have been horrendous!..I'm hoping tomorrow will be when I start to feel alright...5 days is enough!!! Lol oh if life were that simple!!
  • Posted

Hey....good you got some sleep tabs from your doc. Is it Zolpiderm 10mg or Zopiclone 3.5/7.5mg?? Yep...either one will put u out. Just remember that even if you stay clean for weeks...the DHC may come calling and it may be so intense thay you give in. Even if you don't have any tabs you could buy otc Paramol which is 12/500mg mix.. But you have shown you have the will power and wouldnt go back to that life. Keep it up./
  • Posted

Day 5.. things are starting to calm down a bit and I feel ready to face the real world!!lol and no I don't think it will come calling a few weeks down the road...hopes so anyway. I don't believe my addiction was so severe...I think it was more like this is fun and I want to do this and I have no willpower to stop. The withdrawal s are sh*tty and is not something I ever want to repeat. And even now on day 5 I do not feel safe that I having experienced the worst. It's horrible...the unknown!!!
  • Posted

Hey Alexandria, good to hear you are hanging in there. Trust me....the WD you are going threw does not seem as bad as it could be. But then I can't really know what it feels like to you. Just remember it maybe a life time battle cos it will come a calling t6o test your will power. Yes....it's good to be confident that you have kicked the habit but it's only 1 tab away. If you ever slip in future and find you take some.....take it as a slip and don't beat yourself up about it because the craving may come on so strong that you will be surprised at the way you manage to finde some. As long as you don't relapse and go right back to it. If you do then give me or any other people that are advising you a holla.

Do you smoke? You may find that if you do, it's the nicotine that is also helping you through. For me I decided since I was smoking bout 10 a day and in uk a pack of Marlboro is £9.80 it was time to stop. And like the DHC I used my same method kinda. Instead of buying the patch which was £14.99 for 7, I used my buy 20 packs and smoke 20 on day 1, day 2 throw 1 away and smoke 19. Day 3, throw 2 away smoke 18 and so on till day 19 throw 19 away snoke 1 and get this.....day 20 throw the whole pack away....lol. It worked.

So, just remember you are losing nothing from not taking them tabs. The only thing I will NEVER give up is coca cola. T/C. 

• Posted

Thank you for your support...today is day 7!!!!! Still have aches and pains....I really wish they would go away...and I thought they would have by now...but they aren't. Sleep is not great...sleeping pills not so good..but I will get there. This is by far the hardest thing I have ever done.

I will never go back!!

And never give up cola either!!!!

• Posted

Hey Alexandria,

You have been quiet. It is usually a sign of relapse.....I hope not. If you have then take it as normal as going cold turkey is very difficult and relapse is nothing to be ashamed of. You just have to try again only with a different approach. I can help you with that if need be. If you are just quiet because you are still clean and don't feel as though you need any more advice thats fine. Just want you to know it is good to check in once in a while because as I said before....when it comes calling the cravings all so strong alot of people will break down.

• Posted

Lol.......yep coca cola is the bestest!!! Sorry I been awol had to go to a funeral. I guess for the aches and pains you could take regular ibuprofen or paracetemol and also take long bath. Turn the negative into a positive and think of them as good aches/pains. I dealt with em by going to gym just so i would trick my mind into thinking they were from workout. Alot of going cold turkey is in the mind also. There worst ache for me was lower back. And it was not a pain but just constant ache that was always there so I could not sit still. Then one day I go back spasms and they were so bad i were thinking if it's part of WD there's no way I would manage. Then I watched a show on tv bout people that have them as part of there life and the best treatment for them is Vallium (Diazepam) at doses of 30mg. But I know that was not me but if the woman on tv could handle them then a little back ache in nothing. So I just got use to them accepting it was part of getting well. Try do what I did and get addicted to something else like ice cream or choc......lol.

You are doing great. just don't slip and take 1 tab. You may be past the danger zone as you should be in week 3 but if you are not....it will come a knockin loud and that is usually breaking point for most. I say by your a big bag of crisps salt and vinegar, Choc bar or 3l coke and leave it there incase. I tell ya.....you will enjoy it so much. With me im on 12 cans a day on coke. As I told another lady....I LOVE IT!!!! But i go gym 5v days a week.

As for sleep....if you don't have proper sleeping pills or Vallium then make a schedule to watch tv. I mean, watch shows that you have not been interested in before. I found that I learnt a whole lot from just watching a show with out flicking channels. Like tonight I will watch countryfile. When I use to visit Mom she would watch it and i'd watch sons of annarchy on pc until i was going through WD and I went to visit her for support and i watch it and still do to this day. As i said....its will power. Replacing DHC with other things. Do you have a stash anywhere for "just incase"?? Alot of people do. I say if you have no intention of taking them you don't need any. One gal told me she left them at her moms house so she won't take em. I said "do a non smoker keep cigs at her moms place"?? I guess she got the point. Now writting to know ive got the urge for some chocolate. Have you ever had a square of milk chocolate that you just keep in your mouth to melt away and then get a sip of cold coke??? It's lovely.

So...off to the store I go. Happy Sunday. 

• Posted

Nope..no relapse at all!!! It's almost 3 weeks. Just starting to feel like myself!! Thanks for your concern.
  • Posted

Great. I say you had a good escape and your will power is good. But pls don't think "I quit before so I can do it again". It don't work that way. It will come back with avengence mad with you for breaking up and be mopre friendly. Yep....I refer to it as a person cvos that is the best way to explain. So this is where You and I say bye until you check in again. I hope you have managed to find a new best friend.....mine is coca cola. Heard on the news Russia wnat to ban it cos of sanctions by USA......all I can say is they dreaming.

So I leave you with some last bit of advice.....You can not take any opiate/opiod of any kind evn the most basic Codiene. If you do buy OTC pain meds as the pharmacist to make sure there is no codeine or DHC. A few to stay away from Nurophen plus, co-codamol, Paramol, Solpadeine etc. Some night time cold syrups have codiene but they mostly contain...(if you a breaking bad fan) Pseudoepherdine (speed). Any meds for upset stomach then contain Loperamide (opiate that dont pass the BBB) are okay. Infact....that is what I used in starting dose of 50mg a day to come off DHC but took it with another med so it do cross the BBB (blood brain barrier) and it sure enuff made the WD okay. But then you don't want to get addicted to loperamide. Apart from that I'd say you should be okay. I forgot....Tramadol is another med that is so addictive. For me....it a struggle that is probably for life as it just takes a simple slip and back on it. 

I'm glad you got your life back. Enjoy it and take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.