i'am having a bunion surgery in a few week.AND I HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS!!!!!!!!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, i'am only 13 years (almost 14) and i am having a bunion surgury on my right foot. i am not too sure what the actual type off bunion surgery i am having is called but all i really know about it is , i am having my big toe broken in several places , with pins in ( non removeable pins) and my bunion filed off.

my questions are;

will i need crutches?

how long will i have off school?

when can i go back to sport?(because i am very sporty)

and last off all i have already had 4 operations will the be as painfull as them?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello,I'm also having surgery on 4th may my second one smile, I'll try my best to help.

Yes you need crutches as u can't weight bare for 2 weeks.

U may be off school 6 to 8 weeks or longer depending how u recover and what your surgeon advises for u.

I think it will depend on how u heel, but the toe takes a good year or more to heal. Your surgeon can advise on this.

And it's different for everyone, my last one wasn't that painful just uncomfortable but u will be given paid killers

• Posted

i just had my second bunion surgery done in end dec.... i found it less painfull that the right foot i had ddone in may . they had to go back into my left foot while i was in theatre having the roight foot done, as a screw was coming loose and purtruding out of the skin sad  but all is ok now they have took it out lol x

• Posted

hi i had right foot bunion suregry in may 2016, with hammertoe surgery at the same time, no weight bearing for 2 weeks m you probably given a wedge shoe i did with crutches, after 2 weeks take dressing of and still had to use crutches and wedge shoe for 6 weeks, first 2 weeks keep foot elevated this helps with swelling reduction and pain. you will still have swelling for a few weeks but it will gradually get less but everyone is different,, i have just had left foot bunion and hammertoe surgery in dec 16 too so still recovering from that but i can walk now alot better, i was on crutches longer because of the hammertoe surgery i had done at same time as i had a pin through the toe sticking out the end of it which had to stay in for 6 weeks before it could be removed.... you will be fine as long as you do as you are told for the recovery period..ie keep foot elevated and mno weight bearing....good luck x
  • Posted

Had bunion (plate inserted) and 4 hammer toes done last year. V little pain. Could weight bear in boot straight away but advised to keep elevated as much as possible, needed painkillers for a couple of days, that's it. Just be careful that the pins don't get caught - that was my main fear. They stick out the top of the toes quite a bit, I got an extra large boot so as to protect them from knocking off anything. Got them out after 6 weeks. You will be fine - just do what your doc orders!

• Posted

hi, I wanted to see how your surgery went, my daughter is 12 and on the waiting list for surgery, she has a large bunion on her one foot which causes a lot of pain. Any advice would be brilliant as we don't know anyone around her age that has had this done.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.