I am having a Colonoscopy and a Gastroscopy..

Posted , 4 users are following.

hello everyone

i have recently found out I will be having a Combined Oesophago-Gastroscopy Duodendoscopy and Colonoscopy on the same day what does this entail? obviously the colonoscopy is up the Rectum but will the other on be down the throat? .

also should I go gas and air or sedation the doctor asked me to decide. Also throat spray or sedation.

any help would be brilliant.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have had both a gastroscopy and colonscopy, gastroschopies take about 10 minutes to perform maybe less, they aren't pleasant but like I say it is pretty quick. I had both sedation and spray and I would recommend you do the same without s shadow of a doubt !!!! The day before you have your colonscopy you'll be given some Moviprep to clean out your bowel,. If your app is in the morning you'll have to stop eating at 9am and just drink plenty of fluids (get some bovril !) .. Tea and coffee without milk etc.. Then at 5pm you'll have to drink a litre of the Moviprep over 1-2 hours and it will make you go to the toilet loads so stay by the loo.. Then at 8pm you'll do the same, drink another litre. The colonscopy procedure takes about 30mins-hr depending on if they take biopsies and how experiences your doctor is. Again .. I'd recommend sedation. It's quite uncomfortable at the time, get some peppermint tea in as they fill you up with gas and it'll help remove this. 

Hope this helps, and good luck. 

• Posted

Hey

thanks for the response Gbaz-90 my appointment is 1:30 in the afternoon so when would be best to take my moviprep aLso can I add juice to it to help with the taste?. 

• Posted

Ahh, im not so sure about the time for the Moviprep for a afternoon app, i do know you take one litre at 6am but you will get instructions so dont worry about that. you can have juice yes but they say not blackcurrant flavour because of the colouring It tasted a bit lemony so i didnt find it necessary to add juice.
    • Posted

There's more than one type of bowel prep and even then sometimes one doctor uses a different protocol.   They will give you written instructions on a sheet telling you exactly what they want you to do, what (if any) choices you have and when to start. Do exactly what your doctor says, not someone else's and they will tell you when they give you the bowel prep.
  • Posted

hi I have had both, though not on the same day. I had the throat spray and sedation for endoscopy and sedation and painkiller for colonoscopy...would they be doing one after the other ? So maybe you only have one lot of sedation

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.