I am having a lapidus bunionectomy on my right foot next month. What should I expect?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi There,

I am a 26F who has a scheduled lapidus procedure on my right foot next month. I work an office job so I am planning to be out for maybe 4 weeks? What was everyones experience with procedure? How long after you were back to work and driving?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Im 33f and 7 weeks post surgery and I'm having problems walking on my feet having to use crutches to help aid walking. Hope yours goes smoothly xx

• Posted

I am a 65 yr woman. I am retired. I had surgery on my right foot to fix my bunion and also a hammer toe (second toe, next to the big toe). The operation was on Oct 31. Tomorrow I am going to the dr to have the pin from my second toe taken out. I was told that after tomorrow, after they take an x ray, I might get permission to bear weight on my foot. Since the surgery, I was only in bed, with my foot elevated and only went to the bathroom. I was given both crutches and a walker. But both involve hopping on the good foot and that is quite hard. I hit upon the best solution 8 days after my surgery. A rolling, swivel office chair. Best thing. Everybody should be told about this. Other than that, it seems there is a wide variety of methods, experiences, etc. etc. Every doctor has his/her own ideas as to how to do it. And every patient's experience is unique. What I want to caution you is not to be overly ambitious about putting the foot down and walking too soon. You will only make it worse, more pain, more swelling. Some women have even ruined their foot and had to go to further surgery because they were too ambitious. Being in bed for so long, depending on others is very very hard but if you embark on this "adventure" try to be patient, although it is hard. Good luck!

• Posted

i am 26 and had mine done in 2019. i work as a dispatcher for 911 and took off 3 weeks and didnt need anymore! but driving, i wasnt able to drive until 6-8weeks so make friends at work or get an uber!

• Posted

i had a joint replacement L foot 18 months ago and Lapidus R foot a yesr ago . THe joint replacement is now okay . the Lapidus I found a nit more if a challenge ... my surgeon had me non weight besting for 8 weeks .. thst was crutches and the faurly newly operated L foot! then partial weight bearing on the side of my lapidus .. he insisted i was to be very careful not to break where he had inserted the metal..

you are younger than me and therfore fitter!

listen to your surgeon and your body !! look after it really well ..

both my feet are straight now !!

good luck and take it slowly !!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.