I am having my first flare up of diverticulitis.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I found out l had D when I had a screening for bowel cancer. & now lm having my 1st, attack start off with chills shiver burning pain across my belly, no, fur, but constipation & bloating like a balloon the doctor put me on antibiotics. I have carried on eating but at a cost so l guess l should go on liquid diet, a little scary did anyone else feel like this.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Yes DD flair ups are like u are experiencing. You should be on soft foods or just a liquid diet. A probiotic is a good idea because antibiotics play havoc your intestines.

a warm heating pad on your abdomen should help a lot.  Do not eat hard to digest foods or meat unless it is ground .  Stay on soft foods until you see improvement.

😘

• Posted

Can I ask why were you screened for bowel cancer? Was it because of symptoms you were having
  • Posted

Yes that’s exactly how you feel. I also get bloody mucus stools (gross I know) you need to go easy on your diet now with very bland diet and definitely no fibre until it’s all cleared up. A hot  water bottle applied to tummy helps and also paracetamol. The antibiotics should clear the infection but you will feel drained for ages. This forum is good because as everyone is different it gives good advice on different symptoms /diet etc. 

I was diagnosed 5 yrs ago and have only had 3 flare ups. Once it has cleared up you need to include fibre in your diet and avoid getting constipated at all costs! Hope you feel better soon. 

• Posted

Hi jolly I didn't change my eating habits after my first attack I was very naive Now 8 weeks later and in just getting out of the hospital again I have lost 17 pounds and afraid to eat anything Please change diet or you may regret it

• Posted

That’s what I experienced was the burning sensation across belly with diarrhea and loss of appetite and nausea, bloating,  Pain on left side of ab, was diagnosed in Feb 2018 diverticulitis with abscess , lotsa antibiotics with probiotics and changed my diet, I used the Mayo Clinic diet plan and found a website on Diverticulitis pain free foods, keep a food journal and  In April now just have diverticulosis.  But May 25 I started having same symptoms burning feeling across tummy, diarrhea, nausea, loss of appetite, so just had blood work and cat scan done which shows no signs of flare up or infection. So confusing. So going to GI Dr for colonoscopy. Think I developed IBS . Along with all this crap I developed anxiety/panic attacks, lost 32lbs, so it’s been a rough 4 months, the most important thing is your diet and what you eat. For me and a lot of others it’s a trial and challenge so look up the Mayo Clinic diet for DD, and this forum is great for info from people who are going through this , for me I do teas, no caffeine, no red meat or fried foods, no seeds or skins, no dairy. I do Tumeric daily and Golden milk, probiotics, slippery elm, marshmallow root, GSE(grapefruit seed extract) Kefir, organic Apple cider vinegar with lemons, Aloe Vera juice. Bone beef broth with collagen/gelatin peptides, a lot of water and Gatorade. Go slow introducing fiber and greens and fruits. I eat a lot of fish , chicken, pork chops. Canned fruit, my crockpot has become my best freand and smoothies, Also use coconut oils and butter for cooking. Hope this helps a little. Best wishes for a healthy recovery. 

• Posted

Going through it now,, had several attacks over last 3 years,,,getting into GI is near impossible. Thankfully I see him next week after5 months of waiting. I can see his PA but dont feel comfortable. Hopefully he will come up with a plan, Ive tried pretty much everything,with no success.
    • Posted

I agree getting into GI quite slow I have been waiting 2 months and my appointment isn't till July 3

• Posted

Terrible nausea,unable to eat, fatigue and tenderness, bloating and sharp pain in abdominal area. Also diarrhea, where normally I am constipated.
    • Posted

Oh no you better get some antibiotics in you ASAP I hope you have found antibiotics that work for you at this point my craziness has is never ending Still waiting on GI appointment!
    • Posted

Im totally depressed, keep having flares. Since 2015 on and off,,,a few landed me in hospital, because I couldnt tolerate fluids , severe nausea and pain. Got diagnosed with diverticulosis throughout large intestine through colonoscopy in oct. I dont know whatvthe will do because I can only tolerate xifaxin, and it eases symtoms but they return. My primary claims thats not the drug of treatment for diverticulitis. I see the GI next week, hoping he has a plan. Apparently repeated infections will weaken the walls more and cause strictures, etc.
  • Posted

I think I am having a flare up but sometimes the doc says are you sure it's not gastroenteritis I have been diagnosed 2 years ago and have been in hospital twice but my doctor acts like it's nothing serious allove you sufferers will appreciate it is serious when your feeling the pain I have hadone bloating and loose stools for over a week feel washed out but this time it feels like a I'm having heart attack the wind pains are so bad in my chest and back my doctor didn't understand what I meant by wind pains does anyone else suffer this x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.