I am having psoriasis on my feet what should I do

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am having  psoriasis on my feet for 7 years it heals sometimes and then comes back again.It is spreading all over my feet causing it to break.What should I do I did take madications but nothing seems to work please help and will I have a normal feet again..

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I see a chiropodist every two months to get my nails cut, they try and get between the nail and nail bed to clear the psoriasis that infects the nail bed. They sometimes end up having to remove the nail so the toe will not infect the nail bed. In my case the nails on my feet and hands get ridges forming and it can look unsightly.

I get problems with my toes, I get PsA and that effects the joints in toes and Ankle.

I have stopped using all the creams now and I use E45,EPADERM and Aquatious Cream, this acts as a cream cleaning agent  in bath and shower. I generally find Shower Gels with Honey or Coonut oil can moisturise in a gentle way and I use that quite frequently, Although my GP wants me to go back to the aforementioned ointments and creams. 

My problems are extensive not only skin also joints, been like this now for about thirty years

BOB

• Posted

Hi AJ,

Have you spoken to your GP?  The downside of psorasis, it that what works for one person, doesn't always suit someone else.  From my experience, I spent several months trying lots of different lotions and potions, then I was eventually referred to see a consultant Dematologist and then the process started again of lotions and potions for several months before finally getting MTX.  After a year of MTX the psoriasis is getting better.  The downside is that it isn't in the usual places (ie arms and legs) that a visible so to look at me, you wouldn't think so!

Like Bob has mentioned, coconut oil is really good. After a bath or shower, massage the coconut oil into your feet then put some socks on.  The best type is the virgin coconut oil, the type that you can cook with, that seems to have less chemicals etc in than some sold in shops that are branded for skin and hair.  A little bit goes a long way and a jar will last you a while.  I use it on my hair and even on skin that isn't affected by psoriasis.

One other interesting thing - shower gels and bubble baths (and many other things) contain SLS.  This is a nasty chemical that is usually the second or third in the ingredients list.  It is also a known irritant for skin conditions, such as ezcema and psoriasis.  Recently, aqueous cream now has SLS added to it.  If you can, try and opt for SLS free.  

Good luck!

Shaz

• Posted

Ive got palmerplantar psoriasis. Only diagnosed last year. My feet have been horrendous with massive scabs and cuts.

after almost a year of cold tar steroid and moisturiser ointments I was given 30 treatments of PUVA, that helped a little but not much.

now I'm on acitretin. There's side effects but the psoriasis on my feet is healing well. I'm sticking with it to get my feet clear as I so miss walking!

Good luck, it's very hit and miss what works and what does not. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.