I am horrified by what I am reading here!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Today I have been prescribed 5mg daily of Ramipril and as I am in Spain at the moment, thought I'd look up some info online as the insert is in Spanish.

I am horrified at what I am reading here and I am reluctant to start taking them. I'm already putting off starting them as I have a very long journey tomorrow and don't want to chance a bad stomach!

The doctor also told me to increase the dose to 10mg daily if my bp doesn't go down soon.

I work two weeks on and 2 weeks off but I'm finishing 5 days early as my bp is so high, and I don't want to spend the next two weeks making myself unwell in other ways.

Any advice from all you Ramipril vets?

Many thanks

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sandy - I first went on Ramipril about a year and a half ago and was on 5mg. I did develop a very dry irritating cough but that didn't last long. I have been on 7.5mg now for about a year and the only symptom I really have is mild rhinitis.
  • Posted

I too was prescribed Rampril for very high BP. My GP started me on 5mg and increased the dose to 10mg last week. 5mg only had a slight effect on my BP but 10mg seems to be getting BP under control..  I am not overweight and despite my age (59) I am physically fit.  I have not experienced any side effects at all in the 6 weeks I have been on Rampril.  I have only been taking 10mg for 5 days but have not experienced any adverse reaction to the increased dose as yet. I would recommend you to take the medication as prescibed and see what happens.  The chances are that like me you will be fine.  If I experience any adverse reaction in the future I will ask the GP to prescribe an alternative. I will not however take Amlodopine again after experiencing a common side effect of swollen ankles. Good luck with controlling your BP and let us know how you get on.
  • Posted

Hello Sandy8100. First of all, you haven't even taken the tablets yet according to your note. You must keep in mind that everyone is different.What's good for one, may not be good for others. 

When first starting medication, you must give it a chance to do its job. Do not expect a quick fix. When you first take the medication, a fair try is at least 2 weeks, perhaps 3. If at that time, you don't see any results, then take the upper dosage the doctor has instructed. 

Rampiril is in the class of ACE inhibitors. A writer has said that they experienced a dry hacking cough. This is very characteristic of ACE inhibitors but again, not everyone experiences the cough. I know of 3 people who had to stop the ACE inhibitor because of the dry cough, yet I know of a few where the ACE didnt' bother them at all...me being one of them. By the way, the cough doesn't go away on it's own..but very very likely goes away once the medication is stopped.

If you're reluctant to take the double-dose, why not half the second pill then see how it goes? I'm a big advocate of following doctors advice. Nobody on here is a doctor unless they've stated so, or can prove they are. Remember, this is just a forum where we share information, & try to help others. 

Do give the medication a go...you never know your luck!

• Posted

Thank you all for the reassurance. I guess I just read all the

negative comments and panicked! I will start the Ramipril

tomorrow with a positive mind, and let you know how it goes.

I'm 57, lead a healthy lifestyle, always had good bp readings and I think I'm still in shock at this sudden change!

Thanks again

• Posted

Sandy, different drugs respond differently with each person.   I have taken 10 mg of Ramipril for many years along with so many others, eventually 27 pills a day.  This is due to too little time given by the doctors so when my blood pressure was too high "Here's another pill" or the same with Diabetes.   They were killing me and one day I said enough is enough and stopped the lot.   Neithe the doctor (who went mad at me) and the hospital, St Thomas opposite the houses of Parliament who understood and we went on a complete look at what I used to take. I used to go to St George's Tooting (useless and uses trainees not real doctors).   St Thomas is very good and I have a lot of praise for them there.  Right you are given Ramipril to help your kidneys (in most cases).  Look at all the issues on the paperwork given with the pills and issues stated by patients on here.   Watch for any new issue(s) which may come and go and monitor them.   Keep a note for your doctor and let them know. Ramipril is cheap and there are alternatives if the side effects are worrying.  DO NOT LET THEM GIVE YOU MORE PILLS TO COUNTERACT THE SIDE EFFECTS.  These days you need to watch and report clearly.  I keep a spreadsheet broken down into 4 hours per day sections and showing my blood sugar and pressure and what pills, insulin amounts I take. Give your doctor the facts and they can advise but it is your life you need to take charge.   I wish you well.  I also get gout regularly, and do you know what I take to stop it and it is very painful if you let it get hold, I go straight to the bottle of milk. gout is simply acid crystals in the joints, milk is alkaline and counteracts the acid. So no pills from the doctor.   Bye now
  • Posted

Well thanks again, you've given me a lot to think about but I'l concentrate on bet my blood pressure down before I take any other action. Best wishes to you all.
  • Posted

I take 5mg a day and have done for years and never had any side effects.

I have also had no headaches migraines since i've been taking them  which for me is a real bonus !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.