I am in hard cast after ankle fracture. When I can weight bear?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, during my badminton game, i tripped and fell down with weight on left ankle. X-ray showed hairline fracture of left foot ankle, but luckily bone was not displaced. My ankle was put with splint and soft cast for 10 days. After that, doctot put hard cast and says all ok but cast will remain for total 6 weeks to allow natural healing. Also, i should not weight wear.

Now, its been 2 weeks since fracture. I can walk for few steps with cast on without crutches. I do not feel any pain. I want to know if i should walk few steps everyday slowly to practice or I should not walk at all for 6 weeks. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Surely this something that you need to ask your doctor.

Good luck Richard

• Posted

If you need clarification then you need to call the doctor, Generally speaking, no weight bearing means none at all, not even a few steps.
  • Posted

Talk to your doctor, but it's definitely a bad idea to take even a few steps when you've been told no weight-bearing, even if it doesn't hurt. I know I've been tempted many, many times to just stand up, take a step or two...but I know that if I do, it could impede my healing, and that's the last thing I want to do!!

• Posted

The best answer is to call and ask your doctor. I have a more severe break than you, bimallelor fixed with ORIF and tendon repair, but was told absolutely no weight for at least 8 weeks post surgery. I'm even in a walking cam boot instead.of a hard cast but still no weight. No weight bearing for 6 to 8 weeks after a break is standard so I'd say no it's not a good idea until you get specific permission from your doctor.

• Posted

In my experience a doctor will usually move you into a cam walker boot when you are ready to begin weight bearing.  The walking boot redistributes the weight from your foot up onto your leg is how the doctor explained it to me.  The doctor may start you weight bearing at a certain percentage of your body weight while using crutches and build from there.  If you put weight on it too early before the doctor's advice you can disrupt the healing and cause other issues which can develop into surgical issues.  

• Posted

Dear Rockin. Many thanks.. If u have similar experience, Can you please share the time line from fracture to normal... I have many travel planned, once I have some idea, I can plan those many weeks accordingly.
    • Posted

My timeline will be different because I had shattered bones and tore ligaments.  I had surgery 10 weeks ago with a bone graft and screws.  At week 8 I was released from non weight bearing to 50% with crutches  and a cam walking boot.  Today at week 10 I was released to have full weight bearing while always using the cam walking boot.  I would suspect for a fracture planning for week 8 is a good projection however you may go to full weight bearing.  Some people are released at week 6 in a boot but I do. Or know the extent of your fracture. In my case just because you are released to weight bearing does not mean it will not be without pain and physical therapy.  So you can ask your doctor if you will need therapy too.  
  • Posted

Definitely call your doctor to ask . But normal no weight in the cast until closer to 6 weeks, so you should check because you don't want to put pressure on the bone before it has fully healed. That could result in a longer recovery. Call your doctor and make sure what he wants for a plan for your recovery. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.