I am in my late 50's have osteoporosis and on HRT, need advice please

Posted , 3 users are following.

Been on oestrogel gel 3 squirts a day plus a 1/4 of a tube of testim every other day, as I have my uterus I have to take a progesterone for 7 days starting on the 1st of every month. At first i had no bleeding, then after a year whoppee my periods started again. However during my life cycle I suffered with endometriosis and now the bleeding has become heavy for around 7 days.                                                                           It has been suggested I have a hysterectomy ( no thanks) , or a mirena coil together with oestrogel ( I had 3 during my fertile years when i had excessive bleeding after a C section, the last one had to be removed under anesthetic) so again not too keen. Now been prescribed Premique. The HRT had helped my bone density, but drops as soon as I come off it. Anyone else got these problems. Biphosnates I'm not keen on as I have dodgey teeth, and the surgeon wouldn't work on my mouth when on these. I think the HRT was good but can't bear the bleeding I have not had periods for a while and passed the menopause,,

What is premique like to take, I see in todays Mirror there is a new drug for HRT in the states may come heer soon,http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2466651/New-HRT-drug-help-PREVENT-breast-cancer.html

3 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have read that hrt is essential to bone health once osteoporosis is diagnosed. I presume that somewhere along the way there was a dexascan with T-scores. I notice that your post was over a year since and I assume that you have progressed sice then. I'd be interested to find out how you are.

I prefer to take supplements and food with all the nutrition that your bones require like calcium, magnesium (not at the same time as the calcium) vitamins D3 & k2-7. Zinc and copper are also essential as is many of the B vitamins and boron (Dried Prunes). There are lots of others and a web search will find them for you as well as lots of discussions regarding bisphosphonates

• Posted

P.S.  Forgot to mention, vitamin D3 is incredibly important as well.
    • Posted

A bit late but just checking mail, so sorry for the delay, thanks for your reply. Well now been on HRT since 2012, I have had to increase my oestrogel, as although its working he says needs to work harder, so I had a mirena coil fitted, that's it really, I have had spotting but it's now not so bad, how my bones are I'm not sure until my next scan. This was prescribed by a gynaecologist. A rhuematolist I see too knows I'm on HRT, but may want me to take Prolia as well, not keen as I believe it too is under the biphosomate heading like AA. Having bad teeth and this drug doesn't go, so at the moment sticking to HRT. I take Vit D but not calcium as app that is level , and understand too much calcium also not good for you either.

Wishing you well,

Just seen donatella93345 sent a reply but was deleted by a moderator, I never read that reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.