I am in week 4. and my doc says i have to start wb!

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had my ankle surgery 4 weeks ago and i have the following questions

1) my doc says that i should start Weight bearing and no one online agrees that patient should start WB before week 6, what do u think?

2) anybody have experience to read the x ray in week3

3) when usually Ankle surgery patient go back to normal walking as before the surgery?

4) when should I start PT

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Kilany,

If you are concerned about your surgeon rushing things then it is time to sit down with him and clear the air. I hope you can build a good rapport with him. Never be intimidated by a doctor. You are the patient and you are also  in charge of your life.

If you can reach him in the office by phone that would be okay as well.

Just tell him your concerns clearly and insist on a full and complete answer. You are not wrong or out of line to get some reassurance that the course he recommends is safe and effective.

• Posted

Hi I was told after 4 weeks to start wb.I am now 6months post op and everything ok so far.My surgeon told me my ankle was fixed with plates and screws so walk.good luck
    • Posted

so you have same my case, and how you started the journey of WB after 4 weeks? can you walk me through how long does it take you to start walking normally without limping?
    • Posted

I walked on 2 crutches for 3 weeks then 2 weeks on 1 crutch then slowly started walking unaided.It just happened naturally tbh.I still have a slight limp now but its much much better.I still go to pt once every 3 weeks as I dont have much rom forward.I find it more of a mental struggle than a physical one.
  • Posted

Hi, I am 5 weeks into a triple fusion on my left ankle and was told non-weight bearing for 6 weeks.  The doctor will take another x-ray to ensure the bones have fused, and if so, then I would be able to start putting a little weight on it. As for the screws and plates I have, my surgeon said that unless they bothered me at some point, they will stay in.  However, every surgery is different with different requirements.  

I would get a second opinion!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.