I am just 20 years old and I think I have AF

Posted , 6 users are following.

I got so worried last night I woke up at around 9PM to pee when all of a sudden my heartbeat got too fast and I had a difficulty of breathing. I tried to search about the connections to these symptoms and saw about Atrial Fibrillation. I am so afraid, I am experiencing some of the symptoms. Is it really possible to have when you're only 20?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I have AF so its important to get it diagnosed and treated. Untreated can be an issue but its manageable. The fact it was fast sounds more like possible a fast tachicardia or even a panic attack. AF is fast and slow and normal beats all within the scope of a minute feeling the pulse so its irregular. But just get it checked hey and then you can work out what to do

• Posted

Hi,

I agree get it checked out worry will only make it worse, young fit athletes can  get AF if you do have it as the last post said it is managable.

Good luck.

• Posted

We are not doctors and you should go see your family physican. What you describe though does sound like Tachycardia. It is not uncommon for young people to have that due to overindulgence of caffeine drinks, alcohol, over eating etc... If you are over doing it on anything I described, take it as a wake up call and make some lifestyle changes before it becomes something to really be concerned about.

AFIB effects your heart rhythm and can feel like you have fish flopping around in your chest. Go see your doctor and don't get yourself worked up as it will only make things worse.

• Posted

Dear Mary, it is possible, but you should get checked out by a doctor.  I was diagnosed when I was in my 20s, but then managed quite well on medication for over two decades.

Regards

Patrick

• Posted

Hi patrick. You have AF ? And have managed for 20 years. I have it for 2 years. I find it disrupts my sleep. It is mostly annoying except the first time i had it i didnt know what was going on and panicked a bit.
    • Posted

Yes, it has been managed with Flecainide.  However at the moment it is out of control and its looking like my first ablation, which I am not at all relishing the thought of.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.