I am mother to a 15 year old son who has had chronic urt...

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am mother to a 15 year old son who has had chronic urticaria since he was 10, and a daughter of 13 who has had the same condition since she was 11. They are both managed with daily cetirizine, which keeps it bareable most of the time. Flare ups tend to be limited to when they have a cold or other bug picked up from school, both being teenagers they find it difficult when their rashes are noticable, as body image is so important to youngsters nowadays.

All doctors have offered us is anti-hystimines, which I find frustrating as I feel its treating the symptoms and not the cause.

I've read about homeopathic treatments being successful but have no experience of this. Has anyone any advice or personal experience with alternative medicine? I would be very interested to hear from you.

[i:148c899adb]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:148c899adb]

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I went into a health food store once and told them how itchy I was and the guy ground up milk thistle, dandilion burdock and put them into gel capsules and to my surpris, my rash cleared up after 3 months of putting cortisone creams on. They did not work.

[i:c6551c14d0]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:c6551c14d0]

• Posted

I have had good luck with Singulair by Merck. I have also figured out that I have a big problem with aspirin (salicyclates). If I stay on the singulair and keep away from salicyclates I'm fine. If I go back to eating foods with salicyclates I start breaking out again.

[i:9ca41a8e61]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:9ca41a8e61]

• Posted

www.thinknatural.com/ just been looking at this site. Its good and you may find it helpful

[i:b0035a5ca5]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:b0035a5ca5]

• Posted

A lot of people with chronic urticaria are, or become sensitive to, salicylates. Salicylates are in all natural, herbal products - so please be very cautious about experimenting/self-treating with these things, and my advice would be to tell your doctor if you decide to go ahead with any herbal product, in case it might interact with any medications you are already on, etc.

[i:9f47e76007]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:9f47e76007]

• Posted

Only doctor that could help cure me of my chronic urticaria - Dr ***** in London (I live in Hong Kong) but was in London last summer and lucky enough to find out about him. for more info about him and what he specializes in. His PA is really lovely too and very helpful - I spoke to her initially.

I suffered from chronic urticaria for 18 months and during that time I saw a number of doctors - (gp's, dermatologists, chinese doctors, holistic doctors etc.) but no one could help. Antihistamines of course helped a little but only suppressed the symptoms....and I don't like taking meds. The holistic medicine may have helped a little but was not the answer or enough.

I then read about a microbiologist who specializes in immunology, histamine intolerance and many other health issues and thought I had nothing to lose. He is based in London and people fly from all over the world to see him. Within 5 mins of talking to me, he told me he was pretty confident he knew what my problem was and also told me that all the tests I had done up until that time were pretty much useless (I did a food allergy test, stool tests to check for parasites etc.) He was right. He actually found a parasite (meaning he is really thorough as my GP did not find one after testing several times - my GP also told me that there is no necessary cure for urticaria, very scary esp. as I am living proof that it is curable - took me 3 months!) and in addition to this told me that I was low on the enzyme diaminoxidase which suppresses histamine release in the body. So if you are low on this it will be difficult to control your urticaria. He put me on a histamine restricted diet (tips on his website), a drug to kill off the parasite and put me on 'histrelief' which is more like a tonic which is currently on trial but very safe and has amazing results - Within 3 months of taking this 'tonic' containing diaminoxidase amongst other ingredients (this is not a drug) my urticaria had all but gone - what it does is kicks starts the natural diaminoxidase in the body - I notice now that I still get the odd pressure hive and some patches if I eat shellfish but otherwise I am totally free of it and am no longer taking the tonic. There were no side effects at all to the tonic and so easy to take, just one teaspoon each morning. I had a major setback though when I took Agnus Castus (a herb) - trying to conceive also - as it totally goes against diaminoxidase - there are quite a few other drugs that do so worth checking out.

I suggest you have a look at his website for info and if you can go and see him! He is super clued up on histamine intolerance so I think you would be in very good hands. Nothing to lose! I was at my wits end also, it is so depressing and debilitating (I also suffered from angiodema, swelling of lips, eyes which was horrible) I am a totally different person now and feel like I have my life back.

So all in all, as far as I understand, all people who suffer from urticaria will have low diaminoxidase levels (the cause of the urticaria itself might be different be it reaction to medication, food, tight clothing etc.) - once your levels of the enzyme are more in balance your body will be able to deal better with histamine release in the body. only a microbiologist would know that!!

hope this makes some sense, of course better to get a full explanation from the doctor!

Good luck, really hope you find this useful. I know have a daughter and if ever she had urticaria I would take her straight to the Dr - I believe in him 100% and it's easy to lose faith & trust in doctors when you don't get results!

[color=orange:0e4b7dd31e]

(Sorry but Patient Admin have removed either a telephone number, Doctors name, an email address, and or web address, from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum.

If you wish to communicate directly with people, you should register, for free, with the forum (click Register in the

• Posted

[quote:6004153e91=\"D. \"]I went into a health food store once and told them how itchy I was and the guy ground up milk thistle, dandilion burdock and put them into gel capsules and to my surpris, my rash cleared up after 3 months of putting cortisone creams on. They did not work.

[i:6004153e91]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:6004153e91][/quote:6004153e91]

i am 18 and expierience the same thing . whent i go in for a shower or excersice it glows red . bud usually when iam not thinking about it its a little visable but clear not red . iam paranoid from it cause its only on my body n arms. i dont want it to spread anymore

i wonder will it go away .i read up on it and its 1 of 1000 people who get it

please write back ..cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.