I am new but would like to know how many folks are on O2

Posted , 10 users are following.

I find it embarassing to my adult children and my friends. They reassure me that I dont but still feel inadequate.

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Shannon, I use oxygen 24/7, and actually appreciate it. I often wonder what they did in the past, when it was no available. I went six months without it, and then broke down and eventually had heart failure. I appreciate it now that I am using it. This is why they say it is a medication. I went six months without it, and had no idea what was exactly wrong with my health, and had not idea it was oxygen related due to lung condition. But, after six months of having very low oxygen, and now regaining the oxygen, thanks to concentrated oxygen, there is such a difference, and I appreciate/love it. I hate that we have to wear the silly cannula and tubes, and carry a tank around when we either are in bounded or out bounded, but I do believe it when they say that we live longer if we use it! I do it mainly for myself, and my family. Your family should be proud that you are using it, since it is helping your health and causing you to live longer. I am sure they are...it does seem it may be yourself being self conscious? That is very uncomfortable, but in my opinion, if someone doesn't like looking at someone who has a lung handicap, then they have the problem, not myself, and No, I will not allow other people to dominate my go abouts either. If they don't like it, then get use to it, is what I would say to them! I do get a kick out of small children calling me monster or other names, but I just smile at them. It is the older ones, who have the problem, and I personally don't care to know them...but honestly, I never seem to have the problem with other adults....instead, they smile at me and help me (if I need it). I knew when I first wore oxygen, that it is either be a prisoner at home, or, go out and be glad that I am alive and enjoy life in bound and out of bound (home). Also, my children and husband will have it no other way.....we don't have other family in my location, just sons and husband, but I do it for them, because we have soooo much fun together! I just can't let others make me stay indoor's like a prisoner, and I hope you make that decision too, and once you make that decision, stick to it. I am not ashamed of wearing oxygen, since it saved my life too. xo
    • Posted

Great post Brenda!  I'm not at the stage of needing oxygen but know I will be if I live long enough.

To respond to your speculation, I guess people just died sooner as they also would have without the inhalers we now have.

Who knows, with all us baby boomer ex smokers getting to the COPD age, maybe someone will come up with a cure before too long - we can only hope and in the meantime manage our condition as best we can.

I must admit that I freaked out a bit (internally) when I first went to rehab and came into contact with people with advanced COPD on 24/7 oxygen and told my daughter that I didn't like seeing that as my future,but now down the track a few years I accept I have something incurable that I just have to make the best of.

Thanks for sharing your sensible positive attitude!

• Posted

Jude, you are welcome! 

Yes, so true, can be scary, but I think we grow into this late stage position. It is difficult having to give up certain liberties, such as non-restrictive walking, and, breathing with out concentrated oxygen. But, I won't allow myself to accept doom and gloom, which is very easy to accept. Instead I try to have a good positive outlook. If we can establish the positive outlook, in time, it can become natural, and much more comfortable to live with.

My doctor always tells me that I am the patient who looks like nothing is wrong with her, because I look so healthy, younger, and not sick....lol. My doctor explained that most COPD patient's, who are in their late stages, are senior citizens. But, with the medications today, and earlier detection, patient's can prolong the stages, in my opinion. I hope you will still be in earlier stage during older age too!  

• Posted

Also, to add,......I wanted to express how horrible not having oxygen for six months felt....it was the pits. I didn't pay attention to my sat oxygen level, and looking back, I don't recall the Dr's or nurses, noticing it either, so today, I can't say how low it was. I only wished someone would have let me know, because at the time, my least thought was low oxygen (for some reason). But, I felt so sickly, and was having hyperventilation attacks occasionally. That was scary. Then one morning, I woke up, and my son had to call 9-1-1, and I ended up in the ER having heart failure. The heart failure turned out to be non lung related, so they said, and it was not right sided or left sided heart failure, so I was lucky...it has healed also...this was three years ago. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.