I am new to osteoporosis.help needed!!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello dear ppl,

I'm 35 female,recently diagnosed with osteoporosis.i have 4 spontaneous fractures.im bedridden now for an year,I ve only recently been put on bonviva.due to my age they didn't want to give it,but in the end they did.i m in huge pain will I ever recover ? Is there such thing as remission ..I start to lose faith.my bone lose is ongoing.any advice or experience shared is appreciated.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Poor you, but please don't give up hope. I have suffered 2  fractures of my vertebrae and also a toe before I was diagnosed. I was in my 40s when my first fracture occured. But, I am pretty much as normal now although I gave up my bike, just in case.

do you know why you have developed OP at such a young age?Perhaps this can be addressed first to avoid further problems occurring Healing takes time and you will need to persevere doing appropriate exercise to strengthen the muscles. Its a long road, but worth it. A good diet too and possibly supplements, will help. Stay positive

• Posted

I dont know dear,

The hormone tests came good,yeah I wasn't living very healthy as a teenager but I really have no clue,nor do they.

Did you take any biphosfonates?

I haven't had a pain relief for an year now,shall I expect this to stop?

Was it painful only during the fracture healing or?

For me it hurts all the time....

• Posted

I still have pain when I stand for long periods but,  it was excruciating at the start. I also do not know why I have OP. I have taken Risedronate for just over 2 years now and my t-scores are much improved. I hope to stop after 3 years if both hips and spine readings have improved to low bone mass rather than OP. If you exercise, the muscles start to work as they should and this makes everything better. If you dont, the muscles pull too much one way and this leads to muscle tension. This also causes pain.
    • Posted

I literary feel like my spine can't carry my own weight.im not even heavy.but the feeling how the bones are twisting and God knows what is happening to them is really frightening .

Actually I can describe it as carrying a bag of stones that are pulling me down.

• Posted

I understand what you are saying. For me it was like my bra was too tight, but it was the fracture of the thoracic vertebrae. The lumber was like I was wearing a lead weighted belt on my hip bones, pushing me down. It is much less now but I remember how painful it was. Now it only occurs when I stand for long periods.
    • Posted

Yeah....

Did they find any correlation between gut problems and bone lose?

I be been reading many ppl had celiac disease and therefore developed osteoporosis.

Did u change ur diet?

And last thing dear alisson,I believe u can help me more than a doctor,because no matter what everybody that is an outsider to this can't really comprehend it.

What do u recommend me now...I'm with severe pain and lay most of the time,it's hard even to shower.im pretty much stuck in bed until the next bonviva pill.

Thank u

• Posted

Thank you Dida. I suffer from IBS and have done for many years so I suppose it could have stopped me absorbing the correct nutrients. But, I do not know this for certain. I now pay more attention to my diet but I have not changed it. It has always been good so there was nowhere to go with that one. Added K2 about a year ago, but otherwise nothing changed there. Have you heard of the Alexander technique? It starts with a position to realign the spinal colum. It then moves on to slow movements to help the muscles work in harmony. I did this from the start of my lumbar  fracture and I am as straight as I was previously. If you are interested, I can private mgs you or you could look up on line. Don't give up. Many years ago it was thought that after a back injury, of any type, lying down flat on a hard slab was how to cure it. Now its known it is better to keep moving. Find a good physio and persevere. It gets a lot easier when you start to notice some improvement, however small.

• Posted

No haven't heard.

BTW I can't go on the floor if this makes sense to u.i feel like a statue that will break.

I can sit only on things that are on my level,not too low....

Very scary

And when I lay in bed I feel I lay on my kyphose...Not on my actual back...

• Posted

I suppose you need to start somewhere or you will lie in bed for the rest of your life. What does your GP say? You need to be weight bearing to help your bones strengthen as the meds wouldn't do everything. Please get some professional help to get you started on the road to recovery. It will be all uphill at the start, but you are still young and have years ahead of you. I am certain something can be done to give you back your life. Best wishes dida.

• Posted

Alison that was a very encouraging reply to dida. Please can you tell me what excercises you do?
    • Posted

My fractures were undiagnosed so I did everything wrong at first. Then I saw a physio and started with lying down exercises. Leg raisers both lying on my front and then on my back. Only just off the floor and controlled up and down. I also lay on my back with knees bent and feet on the floor. Controlled knees together 2 inches to the right then repeat to the left. In time I got better and can now put my knees together to the floor, but I would strongly advise professional advice as it also depends on the area fractured. There were so many at different stages of my progress. i also walk on average 10,000 to 15,000 steps per day now. I couldn't even stand upright 2 years ago. I think its more about keeping up what you start. It takes time and somedays it may be boring but the end result is worth it.

• Posted

OMG u re an inspiration.

BTW I have developed a kyphose due to the fractures.

Can't bend,sit,stand long.

I can't even call them fractures it's more compressions.

The vertebrae is losing height.

I'm sorry I didn't read if u had taken any medications?

I'm on bonviva but I really have a feeling nth is helping me.

I can't exercise ...Not now

I mean is there a day u woke up feeling wow that's gone....

• Posted

I am afraid no. That day did not happen. It was a long slow process. I too developed a kyphosis and couldnt get my shoe on for 2 years. Needed 2 surgeries for that one. But the vertebrae were not treated medically. It is important to exercise early on, but the correct exercise or you may do more damage. Don't give up. 

• Posted

I have no experience to share Dida but sincerely hope you have relief from your pain very soon and will make a good recovery to enable you to get on and enjoy life again.

Gentle hugs 

• Posted

...so sorry to hear what you're going through. I have been diagnosed with this dreadful osteoporosis too, I wish doctors would be less inclined to push us onto these scary drugs and more proactive to finding out why each of us is losing bone. I have had fractures as well. I don't know why, but It seems like I have slowly or not so slowly declined in strength and stamina since. I keep trying to do some of the therapy exercises I've been given in the past, but for some reason do not see any improvement in strength, stamina or lessening of pain. I understand your discouragement. I too spend most of my time lying down. This is no life, but I try to stay hopeful. I hope you will too. I wish I could share with you a definite way out of this mess, but keep searching myself on forums like this to see if anyone else is finding their way and how. I saw someone posted to you something about an Alexander technique. I think I'll check into that. I don't know how much searching you've done on all this, but wonder if you and others get as completely wore out with it and all of the conflicting information out there? My very best to you Dida.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.