I am not a patient but need advice on daughter.

Posted , 4 users are following.

How do you help an alcoholic when they don't want to stop drinking and how do you keep their children safe.(one of them being a breastfed baby)

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anne77271, from personal experience with a family member I consider it impossible to help someone to stop drinking unless they themselves want to.

You could introduce them to this site.

Regards

• Posted

Hi u did not fully explain your daughter s problem, they are many alcoholics who have good jobs and live a normal life, can u explain how much does she drink per day, does she drink all the time or, does she have a partner, how many kids does she have ,how does she sponsor her drinking ,if u tell all that then people can advise u on the way forward, this is a good site.
    • Posted

She works a full time job,not sure on how much she drinks but never at work and I do know it is a minimum of 3 glasses of wine per day immediately after leaving work. I suspect more as she is unsteady standing,eyes glazed,has polar opposite personality than usual etc.by the time she returns here (approx. 1 hour after leaving work) Just left her partner (has been off and on for past couple of years)
    • Posted

She is hiding how much she drinks, that is her problem l use to do that , hide it from my wife so would drink, before then at home, pretend l only had a glass, l used to drink bcoz of depression, once l got help l now drink twice a month, so l guess they is a reason why she drinks , am sure with help she will get better, u should sit down with her and that u know she is drinking before she gets home, and that she should be open up and that alcoholism is a disease, that can be cured, if she wants to stop, they are now NHS tablet that stop craving alcohol, etc, cheers.
    • Posted

Thank you for the advice and info. It really has been so helpful smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.