I am now paying council tax after being on benefit for a long time.

Posted , 10 users are following.

The government have messed me about by taking my housing benefit and ESA because I have savings. I now have to pay council tax and have other bills to pay. My savings don't last forever. I was hoping to get myself a small house instead of a flat being in my forties but I now find it hard to find work. I'm an artist and a poet and I keep myself to myself. The government take away people's future. I wouldn't mind if the bad accommodation I was in was worth paying for.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Unfortunately if you claim a means tested benefit like ESA, housing benefit and council tax reduction and you have savings of at least £6,000 then your benefits will be affected £1 for every £250 over. Anything £16,000 or more then your means tested benefits will stop. 

I'm not sure what your question is exactly but unfortunately for savings and means tested benefits these are the rules. 

• Posted

Benefits are meant to be a safety net to cover basic needs of life.

If you have savings to me it's only right you should use them to pay your bills like everyone else,after all you must have over £6000 for this to happen to reduce your benefits and over £16000 to lose them completely.

• Posted

Sorry Rachel but the real world is a harsh place to live in, I have no savings because they were all used up after my accident so I get pension now and so does my other half and because we are literally a few pounds over the threshold for any Hb or council tax benefits we have to pay it all, to cap it all we don't smoke or drink and take drinks with us when we go out and we have to use my so called personal independent payment to help pay essential bills so your better off than we are by far

As Wendy said these benefits are for those that have nothing, so as soon as you have nothing you can claim it again, I personally prefer no benefits as I like to say I pay my way even if ihave nothing left at the end of it

• Posted

If You have savings I’m not sure why you feel someone working ( as I do and I am disabled) should pay their taxes, which in turn pay your benefits for you to add it to your savings to buy a house? 

I quite understand you may not physically be able to work and I have no problem with taxes I pay going towards genuine benefit claimants, but if you have savings do you not feel it’s right and proper that you live on your savings?

How can you feel it’s right to have money sitting in the bank earning interest for your ‘future’ while you receive benefits?  You may feel it’s the governments fault but as a tax payer ( and I am disabled myself) I want my tax money to go to people who need it for basic day to day living, to help them support, feed and clothe themselves, their children etc not go in someone’s savings. 

• Posted

First of all, what do you mean by "I now have to pay council tax and have other bills to pay"? Are saying you didn't pay council tax whilst getting ESA? ESA and HB don't exclude you from paying Council Tax.

Second, it is stated when applying for any means-tested benefit that savings over a certain amount will affect your claim. 

As for your complaints regarding your accommodation, I find your attitude very distasteful. You should just be grateful you have got somewhere at all. There are countless others who have been/are waiting years of being on a list to be offered council properties, and until they do, have to make do with the poor standard of temporary accommodation the council can provide. 

• Posted

If you have savings and dislike your accommodation so much why not use those savings to rent somewhere better? 
  • Posted

Hi Rachel, I have savings so I can't get any means tested benefits. I am disabled, and I work part time, this plus very small pension, and PIP gives me enough to live on. In an ideal world I wouldn't work, I'm exhausted and it makes some of my health conditions worse. But I have savings, like other people have said, the means tested benefit system is there to support people without income or savings, and they supported me before I inherited the money. Plus, I know every pound I earn is mine, when I'm able to work more hours I am actually richer, and can use the money to do nice things. 

Have you looked into moving, if you hate your flat so much? Have you looked at shared ownership, I own half a house, it's nice live in, plus the rent on the other half is low, so saves money. 

Instead of just looking at the bad side, try thinking about your options, and see having savings as a positive, enabling you to improve your life! 

• Posted

If you had money and then bought your house, leaving you with no savings would they then expect you to sell the house or would they give you benefits?

Very confusing.

• Posted

No, they wouldn't expect you to sell the house because she's living there. 

• Posted

No, I mean, if a person used up all their savings to buy a house would they then be able to claim benefits? If they lived on their own and found they could not work due to ill health?
    • Posted

Yes they would most likely be allowed to do that because they're buying something to live in and wouldn't have to claiming housing benefit to pay for the rent. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.