I am off Bisoprolol

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been on Bisoprolol for more than 3 years in various doses as high as 7.5 but for the past year I have been on 1.25. I had a heart attack 3 and half years ago and I have had periods of almost complete recovery and periods when I did not feel right, breathless chest pains felling wobbley.  Over that time I have been sent to A&E by my doctor twice and been on my own accord twice. EVERY time the tests came back clear. I have had 2 stress test again normal. After my last stress test I asked the consultant about coming off Bisorolol. She said if I felt they were not giving me any benifit it was up to me. I decided to go cold turkey and its now 5 weeks and I feel good. I have not had any withdrawl at all so far. I have noticed my heart rate has increased from 60 to 80 when resting and goes higher than before when I exercise.  I believe this was the reason I felt crap on this drug. Sometimes your heart needs to pump harder and holding it back all the time can be a bad thing for people like me who's heart was not damaged by a heart attack. However not the right solution for everyone so advise is needed from your doctors before you stop.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for posting that is good to hear.   I go back to the Drs tomorrow after being on a reduced dose for 7 weeks.   I was put on Bisoprolol because of HBP.   On the higher dose I had palpitations every day I haven't had them once since reducing the dose.   I have however felt hotter, more emotionally volatile and by BP is sometimes raised.  My pulse sits in the 50s when resting and goes up appropriately when moving around.  I have a lot more energy.   My memory is better and my mind clearer.    However my heart rate is starting to drop into the 40s again when I am relaxing.   Am going to ask the Dr to keep me on 1.25 until May as am very busy at work and the erraticness of my moods is concerning me.    Thanks for letting us know how you are getting on.

• Posted

That sound sensible keeping on the lower dose. You may find you are fine on the lower dose and any side effects may reduce in time. If at a later date you decide you want to come off them it should be easier. I was on 5mg and asked to reduce downt to 2.5 then 1.25. I stayed on 1.25 for a year before stopping. I think alowing my body to get used to the lower dose helped when I finally quit them. So far so good I feel really well but time will tell.

• Posted

Hi for the last week my heart rate has started to drop again done to 42 at times during the night and the upper 40s at times during the day.   Am starting to feel tired again in the mornings and find it hard to get moving.   As soon as I start moving my heart speeds up and I feel better.   Am going to give it a month and if it doesn't speed up I will half the dose again to half a tablet if I can.   Hope you are still doing okay.

• Posted

Congratulations on being able to control yourself from bisoprolol.

What are the general medical benefits of coming off this medication, please?

• Posted

Just an update on my post. It is now May and I have been off Biso for 4 months and I feel fine. In fact I have now had the longest period of feeling completly well since my heart attack. Remember to check with your doc if you are thinking of quitting.
  • Posted

Hi I've got ectopic beats so they gave me bisopralol on second day now but didn't really make any difference exept side effects.! Spaced out, dilerzy and vertigo effect while walking. Doctors told me to just carry on but what's the point if I'm feeling worse rather than better and now I've got sharp pain around my liver when I take deep breath.

I wonder after only 2 days of taking it I should be able just stop it won't I? As body didn't get use to it I guess.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.