I am on a very high addictive dose & awful side-effects. Do others identify with what I have said?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am on Zopliclone on the highest dose of 15mg every night and Olanzapine 20-30mg and do not know anyone else on this dose. I have been told it should only be for a few weeks at the most, and the dose I am on is illegal. I also get panic attacks, lack of sleep and hallucinations when I try to reduce it because it is so addictive. Anyone else find this? Also the effects of medication is peripheral! I have had an operation for the constipation, hair growth on chin that I have to get waxed, operations on my teeth due to the dry mouth, weight-gain and weight-loss meetings, glasses or contacts due to blurred vision, a constant cold all year around, uncoordination and memory loss. That is just what I can remember that is all. And, I know guys get embarrassing effects too that they probably do not say. The risk for suicide is higher in my opinion with dealing with all of that! I just hope research reveals the truth one day and alternative ways can be more effectively used. I am doing research and I will definetly do that.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I would really check that it is the zopiclone. I personally have found them very benign but that could just be my constitution. Do not be influenced by all the guff on these medical sites. It could be that zopliclone has a bad effect on you but never has done for me, in fact the opposite, and i have been on them for years.
  • Posted

Hi Jennifer43132,

If you are in the UK, then I doubt you will be getting Zopiclone at 15mg per night for much longer. As it has recently beem re-classified as a Controled Drug (CD4-1), GP`s are very unlikely to prescribe above the recommended dose which is 7.5mg (according to the BNF), to do so would mean prescribing it "off label", this means they are personally liable for any harm that may come your way due to the drug in question, and they would be open to being sued.

My GP dropped my dose immeadiately from 15 to 7.5mg when it was re-classified, even though I had been on 15mg for many many years without a problem (from my point of view).

The side effects you talk about are not un heard of, some people react in what can be called Paradoxical reactions, an hour with Google & Wiki will fill you in with the details.

Though I must admit, I have never heard of Zopiclone causing constipation, but everyone is different.

Hope you can sort things out and find some happiness or relief.

Paddy

• Posted

Zopiclone at > 7.5mg/day is certainly possible, I am on 4x7.5mg/day (prescribed by my gp)  until I can be put on a crossover treatment to diazepam to get off the (horrible) stuff. Side effects are fairly awful as everyone knows, the worst for me is the feeling of panic / restlessness when then next dose (after about 6 hours) is nearly due.

As for the Olanzapine I have no knowledge of this stuff. It seems to be a similar sort of drug - are you being prescribed these in the UK?

• Posted

I have just come off 22.5mg Zimovane ... what ever you do you need to get off these , I experienced all ( if not more of what you are going through ) the drug is not good ..regards 
  • Posted

I am not sure whether some of the side effects are from the zopiclone or the olanzapine. It is difficult to tell when not all of them are listed. Short term I can see the benefits of zopiclone going through a really stressful time but not long term. I think it does need to be reduced slowly and carefully as my GP is aware of and at the right time with the right circumstances. The only other effective remedy for lack of sleep I am aware of is Rescue Remedy from the pharmacy and sometimes I have used that as well and as far as I know it is safe to use. I too find that just before taking it I am even more restless and anxious than usual. I think having it carefully monitored by a health professional/s is necessary and if they are not aware of the side effects letting them know. Definetly medical professionals need to be aware of the effects. Having good supportive people who are supporting me and caring for me regarding it I find too is essential. Hopefully everyone can establish that when withdrawing.
    • Posted

Can I suggest that ANY medications have side effects .. from a simple Asprin to powerful Z drugs, and antibiotics . The problem is enhanced as people also react differently to each drug, dosage, strength according to their biological make-up. In short, what suits one person, may cause a reaction in others ...

For me Zopiclone was a false promise . I was not knowledgeable that this drug should be used short term and where possible in low dosages ..Unfortunately, due to austerity, lack of NHS investment, poor staff levels, that seems to allow a person to drift in out of surgeries and therapies alike, I ended up on 22.mg a day ... over 18 months  this was horrendous as I was totally out of my mind, self harming, no recollection of daily events, completely of the scale . 

I would suggest, that no matter how ill you are , and what ever you are prescribed,  sit down and read around the side effects using google and other search engines. this at least gives you insight as to the possible effects it can have, suggested dosages, timescales etc . You can then CONSIDER the medication as being a support (or not) but knowing the side effects are not an increase of your condition (ie you are getting worse) . This is important as you will then be able to differientiate between the two , and allow you to self monitor your progress, reactions, and elert others ( doctors or hospitals) to any concerns you are experiencing , but with the knowledge of LIKELY side effects to guage against .

It is ALSO important that some medications do make you feel worse before YOU fel better,... so its again IMPORTANT that you do not make the decision NOT to take it beacause of this side effect . In this instance you need short term appointments scheduled with your GP support team , to help you MONITOR your progress , until you either benefit from the medication or not . Dont be pushed aside ... insist that you are seen regularly until your concens are addressed ..

For sleeping .... just use Horlicks .... I know it sounds a old cliche but it worked for me ... I stopped all medications dead ... ( wouldnt readily recommend this , but it can be done with the right fame of mind)  The horlicks needs to be strong ie two table spoons , 1 sugar and made with hot milk .... this did it for me and now ( 4 weeks later) take no medication whatsoever for my bi-polar or whatever is .. Ok I may not be cured ... BUT I am more stable, can remember daily events, not self harming, the horrid nightmares have gone and I sleep/rest from 10-30pm until 6am  rather than not sleeping for 2-3 days at all or very little .  The horlicks is NOT long term either I did this for a week to 10 days , and now I have anything, except coffee or tea ( stimulents) ... often just sparkling water ... trust this helps  

• Posted

All these factors depend on your personal stress level and constitution. I was until 2008 never on sleeping tablets. I was diagnosed as having cmml a form of leukaemia and started to get much anxiety. I have had about 5 operations to do with lymph node problems which is related directly to the leukaemia, have nearly died once and am now not bad. But I am into the easy zopiclone option. I shall be seeing my consultant on 7th and ask hm about Eszopiclone. He will do his nut when I tell him i am on about 15 instead of 7.5 but you have to value what life you have and ensure you sleep to face each day. I really do not care what i am on as long as i get to sleep. Also to add to the problems my wife suffered an aneurism over two years ago and gets minor fits. Does not add to a comfortable life so do not argue over sleep issues. Zopiclone was considered good in 2008/9 so what has happened? Thank you folks for being on this forum it has given me guidance on what i should do on certain issues.
  • Posted

Sorry Jennifer, I have sent you some replies but did not do this one. I am a zopiclone junkie. I usually try not to but do end up on 15mg a night. Actually no ill effects and I am ok but apparently the drug is not. I am now seriously going to bend some medical profession ears because they will simply have to supply with something that is more tolerant to them that works on me
  • Posted

Thankyou so much for all your sympathy, empathy and care people. You are amazing and really all your skills and concern for others could get you a job one day if you are not in one already! I am ok - I just know it will be reduced at the right time and even maybe next week so it will be good having everyone's support here when that happens. I was told cutting one 7.5mg of zopiclone into four and just cutting it down by a quarter of this one pill one night then the next go back to the normal dose and so on was the best method so that is what I will do thanks to good medical advice. I have a good GP - I really feel for all of you if you don't cause you deserve to for sure! Be kind to yourself, write to newspapers to the editor about concerns and know there are websites like Keith said 

http://www.citawithdrawal.org.uk

And zopiclone is down the benzo line of medication my nurse told me benzo.org.uk

And I found this one:

www.mind.org.uk

Take care and keep in touch.

You deserve the best - it is you that is suffering and you certainly deserve just as much recognition as people with any serious medical condition like cancer and getting chemotherapy

Be kind to yourself. Have healthy good times with friends like I do and do some nice rewarding things for yourself.

You are all worth it!

• Posted

Hi I am also on 15mg nightly and somewhat concerned as I have heavy sweats and some memory concerns but I'm also in the midst of sleep apnea treatment so hopeful once that is resolved I may be able to wean off of the sleeping pills I also take many other meds for trigeminal neuralgia anxiety and mild to severe depression OCD and well mental illness and sleep disorders go hand in hand have you tried trazadone? That works really well for me but has its side effects the next day zoplicone never leaves me feeling sleepy the next day I usually feel alert as long as I sleep more that 6 hours soundly but I do wake with hunger which also has its side effects of weight gain😰😰

• Posted

Hello Jennifer. I just saw your post and I would like to know if you still taking the Zopiclone or not?

I've been taking 15mg for more than a year, now my body has a tolerance but when I tried to go on a lower dose , is horrible! Hallucinations, I don't sleep, get panic attacks and a bunch of other stuff.. It seems like the doctor is scared to do something about it, or they just don't care. Anyways, hope to hear from you. Cheers

• Posted

I found for me that I haven't any problems with the withdrawals. I just can't take 15mg. I found if I do I get up in middle of night and eat. But when I reduce it to 1.5 pills they work perfectly. And when I take them....intimacy is a no go. The pills put everything to sleep. Gf told me one night we had sex, and I couldn't remember a thing.....lmao. Yup the do affect us guys.. ..lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.