I am On Cipralex for 1 n half years .. I want to stop it .How to stop it ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am getting married after 3 months ... i am so Scared that i am on antidepressant pills .. How can i stop it without getting hurt?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello Amal,

This close to your wedding is probably the WORST time to consider stopping. Maybe afterwards go to GP and tell him/her what you want to do and they will oversee a gradual reduction in meds if that is what is best all round. It is normal to feel anxiety about taking such a step but be aware that much of this anxiety is down to pre wedding nerves. Does your future spouse know about everything?  Keep us in the picture x

• Posted

Well He knew a month ago ..And we already planned the date for the Wedding ...I am in Africa and wont be able to travel too see my doctor because of my Work ...Ohhhh i am soo Confused and Afraid 🙁
    • Posted

Hello again Amal,

Weddings are incredibly stressful events and I repeat changing and/or stopping right now would be very unwise. I feel fairly sure your feelings are more to do with so many stress provoking things going on in your life right now. Take a deep breath. Do you have anyone close enough to you to share this burden with? If as you say a doctor is not an option at the moment what is? You should like any other bride be able to enjoy this wonderful occasion. Try going on line to learn some relaxation techniques, go for a long walk, talk to friends who have been in your position, but do NOT abruptly stop medication you will feel worse. If all else fails then keep talking on this forum you will be surprised how it helps.

• Posted

Indeed weddings are incredibly stressful. Sometimes i just sit and say i cant get married . And as well i also think i am only 20 years old and i am on antipressant pills .. I get depressed more.

And whe i get depressed i start having panic attacks. 

The main point is start to have a baby i should not be on ANTIDEPRESANT pills. How long should i wait to stop the pills?

I am so Worried . I am really not okay.

• Posted

I agree.  If you're getting married in 3 months time, I think it's to close to be thinking of stopping these.  It has to be done as slowly as possible which can take many months - there's no hurry to withdraw from these and if it takes a year, that's fine too.  If you started withdrawing now, I doubt you'd be off them by the wedding anyway.

I'm always puzzled why people are so reluctant or worried about taking anti depressants.  They're medicine, are there for a reason and if taken correctly will be of great benefit.  People take medicine for all sorts of ailments - heart, blood pressure, epilepsy, diabetes ......... and anti depressants are just the same.

You must not stop these meds abruptly - you'll feel quite unwell if you do.

Ive come off these twice - the second time was easier and I did so by buying a pill cutter and cutting my 20mg tablets into 1/4's so each was 5mg each.  I started by taking 15mg for a few months, then 10mg, and am currently on 5mg which I've been on for about a year now.  I've had no withdrawal symptoms unlike the first time when I dropped too big a dose.

You do need to speak to your doctor though for advice.

Personally I'd wait until after the wedding, see your doctor and then start a long slow withdrawal process.

K x

• Posted

Sound advice once again by Kate cogs. ..if u take her advice u won't be far wrong. ..stay safe..

• Posted

I am in Africa. And my doctor is in lebanon. I went to see my doctor two weeks ago and came back. She said for now i should not stop the pills because i am nt okay yet.

I have my job here in africa and family. I cant just leave everything and go to lebanon . I have nothing there except my doctor. I am really LOST. You can understand me rite ?

I swear kate when i am stressed i start fighting with my future spouse for no reason . I will start to have fast heart beating, my adrenaline hormones increases . I start to say i am goin to die .

Its really horrible.

• Posted

I know exactly what you mean and how it feels when you're stressed.  Ifs not a nice place to be in and can be very scary.  

Ok, so you can't get to see your doctor and I understand you want to come off the medication re starting a baby?  Can you talk to your doctor by phone?    Withdrawing from this medicine should be done over many, many months - much longer than 3 months?  The slower the withdrawl, the better.  If you rush through it you will probably feel quite ill.  

Are you not able to get a doctor in Africa where you are?

Your doctor may be right in saying not to stop the medicine yet as you really don't sound ok yet - being stressed, fast beating heart, adrenaline increase ....... all this should eventually calm down when you've been on the medicine for a long, long time.  

When I withdrew from the meds I did it by reducing by 5mg at a time.  I cut my 20mg pill into 4 and took 15mg for 2 months, then 10mg for 2 months and finally 5mg etc which I'm still on - I will eventually take that last 5mg dose every other day, then every 2 days etc etc until I was taking only 1 x 5mg a week - and then finally stop.  I'm staying on the last 5mg until after my daughters wedding in 4 weeks time as I don't wan't to suddenly find myself not coping.  I only started withdrawl because I was completely well and free from anxiety, depression and stress.

If you only but speak to your doctor, that would be a start.

K x

• Posted

I am not yet done from anxiety and panic attacks. I just want you to tell me will i be okay ? I mean with time all the effects will leave me ?

And concerning my doctor she dont pick up the phone at all. And also i have no doctor here in Africa .

To be honest i dnt like to hear people having depression or panic attacks . But when i hear that i just feel like i am not the only one.

i need to start doing things to release my depression and panic attacks so atleast i can stop the meds.

• Posted

Mmmm - if you're not yet done with anxiety and panic I'd stay on the medication.  I was ill for 15 years on and off with anxiety/depression and despite my being on antidepressants, had counselling, hypnotherapy and whatever else, I remained ill.  My doctor put me onto Citalopram and within 6 months I had recovered and I've stayed well ever since (20 years now).  You can recover on these meds, but I can't promise you will ..... but most people do.  There are many different types of SSRI's and some people respond better to others, and some to Citalopram.  You need to be thinking of you, your helath and wellbeing for now and you just need to give yourself the best chance in recovering, and that means staying on the meds, lots of patience and equally lots of perseverance.

No it's not nice to hear people having depression and panic attacks, but it is very common.  You don't hear of it much because people are reluctant to talk about it.  It's an illness .... not a weakness or a failure - it simply means your physical body is unable to cope with stresses that maybe the next person to you can cope with.  Its how your body is made.  Taking medication is no a weakness either - some people need medication for heart problems, diabetes, epilepsy and many other ailments, and depression/anxiety is no different.  Its an illness like all the others.  You wouldn't expect someone to copy with diabetes without meds ...... and the meds are there for you to take for depression.

I thought I was the only one when it first hit me when I was 20.  Back then, there were no SSRI tablets, and also because I simply didn't know anything about the illness I panicked because I was afraid of it.  Over the years I've read lots about it, understood it more, and it help unravel the mystery of this illness taking some of the fear out of it for me.  All your body is doing is physically reacting to stress and you get caught in a cycle of depression / fear / anxiety / racing thoughts ...... all feeding off each other which just goes round and round.  The medication will help lift the depression, help calm the body which all in turn eases the racing thoughts and the fear.  It takes a lot of time ....... and I really do mean that - months and months - but it is worth it in the end.  You cannot hurry recovery - but it will come.

Taking a relaxed approach to life really help calm the body too.  Don't run, walk.  Don't drive frantically in the outside lane, cruise along on the inside lane.  Sleep when you can.  Eat healthily and avoid sugar.  Smile (you'll be surprised how much it lifts the spirits).  Don't force anything, just float along.  Walk outside amongst nature, it really helps.  Stay on the medication and with the relaxed approach, you will find your body will begin to calm down.

If ...... if you do decide you really, really want to come off the medication, when you are off it may I recommend a natural SSRI called 5-HTP and l-tyrosine (both taken together).  They have no side effects and you can start/stop them when you like - there are no withdrawl effects either.  You MUST NOT take these meds with Citalopram though.  

Hope that helps xxx

• Posted

Hi Amal,

I think agree with the others, I really think I would wait until after the wedding to go off the meds.  You are already under stress, and to go off before the wedding would make things even worse.  Stay on the meds to help you through the stress...as lovely a day as I am sure it will be, it can be a stressful day!  Get through the day, enjoy your honeymoon, then make a visit with your doctor, and they will make a plan for you to go off of the med slowly together.  You should NOT go off on your own, these meds are powerful, and you must be careful going off of them.

Relax and enjoy your special day!  Congratulations!  Don't worry!!  God's Blessings!!

• Posted

Thank yu soo Much ... I hope to be strong to be able to stop the med. I really want to stop it . I am still young for such pills.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.