I am on PIP standard living and looking to claim JSA if possible

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all.

I have a quick question to which i would like some advice if possible.

Last year i use to claim JSA and i was on a work programme, i was accepted for PIP December 2016, In Jan 2017 the Work programme found me a job as a supervisor. 

I signed off benefits and started work, it was great... but the weeks went by and the manager was sacked and i was left in charge of a shop to which i had no experience of doing, i was informed i would be an office supervisor as carrying heavy stock and reaching high shelves and standing alot would be hard for me because i am a dwarf.

This never happened and i just struggled carrying heavy stock and reaching high shelves and standing on tills for hours.

Anyways, a new manager came in and he wasnt very good... basically said we are all sh^t.

I left, I walked out in June. I was so fed up of being in pain and long hours and then someone comes into the shop and telling me and everyone we are sh^t.

I know i have made myself jobless and since June i have been applying and looking for work.... always a no in interviews.

I am wondering could i sign back onto JSA even though i quit my job (I know there is a maximum of 6 months sanc for leaving a job) or shall i wait till end of December? where then it would have been 6 months since i left my job.

Im struggling money wise.

Please advise.

Thank you. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Natalie,

You're right there is a 6 month sanction because you left your job so you won't be able to claim JSA even if it was Contribution based until those 6 months are up.

There's another option for you to claim ESA but for this you'll need a fit note from your GP. Also for this if it's Income Related you'll be applying for then it may when be new style ESA which is part of Universal Credit. You'll need to check if this is in your area first.

Did you work at all before January of this year? Contribution based benefits depends on how much NI contributions you've paid in the last 2 years. Claiming benefits and having your NI contributions paid doesn't count for this.

If ESA isn't an option for you then you don't have any other choice but to wait till those 6 months are up, i'm afraid. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Denise,

Thank you for your response.

I was not working before January 2017 as I was on JSA for 2 years.

I my area (Hampshire) has Universal Credits on it.

As i left my role in June 2017 I shall wait till December of this year to apply for JSA.

I tried to do a 'trial' online of submitting a claim for JSA but because I get PIP it says I cannot claim Universal Credits but cannot claim JSA online as i get PIP as well and I would need to call to claim JSA instead of apply online.

• Posted

Hi,

PIP and Universal Credit are totally different benefits. Your PIP payments wouldn't be included in the Universal Credit, they will be paid serperately. If your area is a full UC area then you will not be able to claim JSA you'll have to claim UC and as your area is a UC area then new claims would not be JSA. UC credits take 6 weeks to get your first payment and the first 7 days of your claim don't count.

As you were only working for a short time then you wouldn't be entitled to Contribution Based benefits.

• Posted

Having just had a look at your area i see that UC has indeed rolled out there. If you're single, which i think you are then as above you will NOT be able to claim JSA.

• Posted

Thank you for your comment.

I tried to apply online for UC and when asks if I get DLA or PIP I put yes and it says I cannot get UC as I am in receipt of PIP.

Do I still wait till December to try a claim

• Posted

Yes you have to wait because you left your job, there's a 26 week sanction.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.