I am planning to do SVT ablation... can you tell me the after effects ?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Planning to do SVT ablation .. If anyone knows the post ablation effects ? And whether life is normal after it ?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It depends of the person, but the most common are heart palpitations, skipped beats, chest tightness, winded, etc. Obviously this is most likely not permanent side effects and they usually go away within a few months.

You should define normal, but probably better than before yes and the peace of mind is something sweet.

• Posted

After my ablaton, I had a little shortness of breath and my chest felt full for all both of 2 months. After that , all was good. I think you can drive a day after the ablation. You need to watch the groin sites and make sure that there is no bleeding and no swelling. cant take a bath for 3 days but you can shower.

​It takes 3 months for the heart to heal afterwards, so you might could expect some palpitations. My heart rate never gets very high anymore. palpatations should stop after the heart is healed.

• Posted

I have had 3 Ablations and I had no side effects at all. They go through the groin, so you will have some mild tenderness for a few days. Since I live an hour from closest hospital I was kept for observation. Normally you go home within about 4-6 hours. FYI reason I have had multiple Ablations is because they found a heart defect which was the secondary cause of my SVT. I have to have another surgery not sure what type yet, hoping it is another Ablation and not something major. Good luck and hope you are well soon. 
  • Posted

For my my groin hurt for 7-10 days after. Not severe but like an annoying ache. I was up and walking the dog the next day so it's not a huge deal but be prepared for it. Had one hell of a bruise on my thigh too!

I also had fairly severe PVCs for a couple of months after. Though I also have had plenty of times where I had periods of severe PVCs before too, and I was pretty freaked out and anxious after the ablation so that didn't help (going through this really made me focus on my heart and be very anxious about it). 

Other than that, not much really. They told me I might have some chest pain for a day or two after and I might have but it was mild enough that it might have also been my imagination. But pretty much felt normal and fine (excluding groin ache) and back to normal life the day after.

• Posted

I had SVT ablation on March 21st.

No real ill effects from it.  Went home same day. Have had a few skipped beats, which I’m told is normal.  Went on a non strenuous hike 3 days post, then a very rigorous hike 5 days post.  Dr. has given me my life back.  I feel great

• Posted

Hi! A year ago I had my ablation and right after the surgery (like the week after), you will feel burning in the chest and tightness in the chest. Your legs will also be sore since they puncture above the thighs. However, ever since having the ablation, I have not had any episodes of SVT since. I am a college soccer player and I have not experienced any attacks since. I do still get extra palpitations here and there and short of breath, but at least there is no SVT attack happening. In my opinion, I would say definitely get the ablation. I was terrified to get the surgery at first because hello, its your heart! But in the end, it was the best decision I have made and I was well taken care of. I hope this helped! Let me know if it did and if you decide to have the ablation!
  • Posted

I had a great cardiologist, but also may have been lucky.  I had no bruising or tenderness at the incision site on the groin.  I also had no heart pain at all.  Am still having a few missed heartbeats one month post procedure.  Feel great, didn't slow me down at all

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.