I am really scared. Can someone speak to what might be going on?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there.

I have been known to have some extent of anxiety but this is really getting to me. I am a 24 year old white female. I weigh 225 pounds at 5 foot 6. Technically obese but I was a college athlete and have a super broad build, definitely overweight and have some weight to lose but I am not all fat.

I have never had any digestive issues. Beginning last year, I started noticing bleeding with stool that was come and go, maybe a couple times a month max. This past 6 weeks it has been more constant than not, I am constipated and feel like i need to go but I pass very little stool (looks normal in shape no narrowing). I am bloated, gassy, have some left-sided stomach aches, and lower back pain. No weight loss.

I went to the doctor and he did a finger exam and felt no hemmorhoids but said he saw a lot of mucus and wanted to do a colonoscopy. I know mucus can be anything, cancer included.

No family history of colorectal cancer but my dad had anal fissures that he had to have treated (no big deal) and when they repaired one, they happened to find one polyp which they removed and nothing else happened. He was about 42. That's pretty young. He has had 2 colonoscopys since (every 4 years) which have been clean.

I am freaking out that I have colon cancer. I know my weight and diet (red meat eater 3x week) could improve but I don't smoke and rarely drink. This quarantine isnt helping this process either. Sorry i know this was a long post. Thank you in advance, I will take all advice I can get.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

This does need investigation, but in the meantime, order a Colon cancer test kit online for about £35,send that away while looking into your symptoms. At least you will get some peace of mind. To be honest, anxiety can sometimes make symptoms twice as bad as they are! They have with me.

• Posted

Hi Taylor,

I had some similar symptoms to what you are experiencing, pain in the lower abdomen, radiating to my lower back. I didn't have the constipation but did have narrow stools. I was besides myself with worry, but went to the GI doc who ordered a colonoscopy. Thankfully, nothing sinister was found. I did have a couple of polyps but they were of no concern. I am also a female in my early 40's for reference, no family history of colon cancer, etc.

I had a talk with my GI doctor previous to the procedure, and a lot of that was him talking with me about my diet. Eating a diet high in fiber, veggies, beans, fruit is the best way to go - he said red meat was a 'no' which is fine because I don't eat it anyway. I would focus on cutting back red meat completely (or just a time or two a month) and really trying to incorporate more fiber into your diet. Also adding a probiotic would help as well! I am not a doctor, nor have any medical background - just sharing what I was told and what I went through. I know you last posted 9 months ago, so I hope you're doing better and all went well with your procedure.

Best of luck - Liz

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.