I am shocked at what may be causing my high blood pressure.

Posted , 11 users are following.

i am not overweight. Drink a healthy smoothie and whole grain cereal almost every morning yet my BP is still high. (100/170). I was  told it may be because of elevated insulin levels caused by the fruit drinks and whole grains (as well as the potato, rice, pasta and breads) that I eat. These are things that easily break down into sugars and cause the issue. (Basically a carb issue). Am I supposed to go on one of those caveman diets? Has anyone tried lowering their carb intake to lower their BP? 

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Your blood test is your best friend making sure that you have sufficient levels of everything including Vitamin D (D3).  Get a computer readout and go through all of the results, even if you have to research any of them.     I found out that having insufficient levels or too much of something in your blood can also cause elevated blood pressure as well.   Your blood work is your best friend when it comes to lowering your blood pressure. 

You probably need to cut down on the whole grains like I did.   Depending on what your smoothies are made of I don't have much of an issue with them but if you are prediabetic you probably need to lay off the smoothies and take a multivitamin which also have chromium in them since you have elevated insulin levels.

You may want to check your blood or urine to see if diabetes is present.  Just do everything in moderation even your smoothies as long as there is no indication of diabetes.   Just going on my own experiences where I eat just about anything I want as long as it doesn't contain hydrogenated oil which has many names and cut down on the sugars.    I definitely don't use artificial sweeteners either.

• Posted

Great advice! Thanks so much! I will do just that and have my blood etc tested for my current levels. I appreciate it.

• Posted

Personally, and in only my opinion, of course, I would arrange to get my blood tested for sugar spikes before and about an hour after my breakfast to see if my blood sugar zoomed up.  I am also not a fan of the modern "pre" conditions.  They just scare people for no reason.
  • Posted

I have become really skeptocal when it comes to GP's advice as they are too ready to pile you with drugs to try and sort out your problems, with the drug companies profitting from it all. 

Most of the times the effects of the drugs wear off and you then have to change the medication again and again. 

I found the diet plays a big part and YES simple carbs white white bread and white rice etc does have a big impact on your BP. Every person is different and we respond differently to diet changes.

I found that a larger in-take of Potassium and Magnesium were the keys, as well as avoiding carbs.

At the end of the day, I would definitely say don't be forced by your GP to take medication, and instead try life style changes and also tackle any issues in your life that could be contributing to a raised BP. eg lack of decent sleep., job etc  

• Posted

In my humble opinion, as a person who is not a medical professional, Potassium can build up in the kidneys.  For some people, it takes very little, so you are better off getting Potassium from food, like bananas,  than supplements, and I have become a fan of supplements.
    • Posted

Agree..Everyone will respond differently..It a case of try and see what works best for you..I have increased my intake through foods and supplements because it works for me...It's just a shame that GP's don't try these alternative to drugs.
    • Posted

Oops! I just said B** P****a. It was the automatic moderator that got me, so I guess we're not allowed to say that on here any more. We used to be...
    • Posted

I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned a life style change is the key. 

Background: I have had elevated BP for the last 5 years and the last few months it has peaked at about 170/100 recently. Looking back, I realize that my only addiction is sugar and items that contain salt. (I don't drink or smoke).

I'm trying not to get to excited because it has only been 3 days! I decided to be super carefull and really pay attention to the salt and sugar intake (using sugar subsitute and very little to no salt).

Here is what I am super excited about....although I'm trying not to be too excited because It might be a fluke. My last 2 BP readings last night and this morning at home were 134/86 and 131/85. I haven't seen those readings in years. Could only 3 days of diet change effect my BP that quick???? I pray that i'm on a trend down. I am searching low sugar/sodium recipes to continue my new "life stye" change. 

Thanks so much for your input and everyone else on the board! 

• Posted

Well done, Ecpool!

It may be partly fluke but my money's on the salt reduction. Cutting back on sugar and other carbs will certainly be beneficial in the long term, but if you were really eating a lot of salt, reducing it drastically could have an immediate diuretic effect.

Also, I think you said there was some connection with stress. It's possible that some of the stress was actually generated by worrying about your BP, which in turn sent it higher. Often when we realise we can take charge of our own body (to some extent anyway) it can be a liberating experience, which in itself reduces stress.

• Posted

Really glad to hear it..Remember what ever happens, even it creeps back up, always look at alternatives rather than just being told to go down the medical drug routine...Do you research, the internet is a library of knowledge on this matter.

Diet plays a big part and so does social and Mental well-being. So look at all aspects of your life social, relationships etc to see what can be improved because they also have an impact on your BP readings.

• Posted

The following is just an opinion I have formed from paying attention:

Ach!  Stay away from sugar substitues!

• Posted

They cause a minor insulin spike. Not as bad as eating actual sugar though. Heard it on the BBC a couple of years ago. Apparently the body reacts to the taste of sweetness by secreting a little burst of insulin in anticipation. As soon as it realises no sugar has arrived in the bloodstream it stops. Theory is that if we eat/drink enough artificially sweetened stuff, this can cause insulin depletion leading to type 2 diabetes, albeit at a slower rate than consuming sugar.
    • Posted

good advice Gettingold, some sugar supplements are not at all good for a person.  I used to take sugar in tea and coffee, I stopped and after a very short while I didnt miss it at all, in fact now if there's sugar in anything it tastes dreadful - why use sugar substitutes when it's just as easy to educate your taste buds to go without, much healthier.
    • Posted

That is not the reason.  They just gave one on Dr. Oz today.  Your body isn't satiated by fake sugar, making you want to eat more.  There is a film you might want to check out, "A Poisoned World"  which is about aspartame.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.