I am so confused

Posted , 6 users are following.

my mum is 75. She has been in remission from non hodkins lymphoma for 15 months now. The doctors didn't think she would make it because it was a nasty stage. She has been doing great until 4 weeks ago. The same type of symptoms again. I have had the doctor out 4 times. They have said bug, infection etc. Took bloods which all came back clear/ good. Mum still isn't good. Could the cancer be active again although the bloods are ok?

plaese can anyone help me as I am so confused right now.

aabb

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

O.k. First off cancer can relapse or recur up to 5 years post treatment and your mum should be having regular check ups to check this is not the case. I finished treatment about a year ago and am having 3 monthly check ups. Secondly this cancer does not show in blood tests. Even before my treatment started my blood tests were all perfectly normal. Having said all that, after being healthy for 15 months, it seems unlikely to me (but I am not a medical person) that mum should relapse. Personally I would ask to be referred back to the department that dealt with the original illness (oncology or haematology) for further investigation. I'm assuming that you are in U.K. and under NHS. The chances are that your doctors are right and it's just a bug (at 75 they can be a pain to get rid of) but you need to know. So, as I have said to many patients on this site before, go back to the doctor, be assertive, and tell him/her that you need that referral - if he's still being difficult get a second opinion. I am very puzzled though as to why mum isn't still having regular follow up appointments after her initial treatment. Good luck and keep in touch.

• Posted

Mum had breast cancer 10 years ago. Then this lymphoma 2 years ago. She does get regular checks every 3 months now. Before she fell ill she had her check up two weeks before. Mums bloods were very high when she was diagnosed that's why I am questioning this latest illness because her bloods are ok. Can I ask how you found out you had Lymphoma? Were you ill before diagnosis? Were all your blood tests ok?

aabb

• Posted

Hi. I wasn't the slightest bit ill which made it even more of a shock. I found a small pea sized lump behind my left ear, went to my GP who said he didn't have a clue so he'd send me to someone who did! Then it was all systems go, a real whirlwind! And my bloods were normal! Contact the unit your mum has her check ups with and tell them your concerns. They are there to help and reassure you and they will give you an appointment to go and see them. They will not think that you're over reacting, being a nuisance or imagining things, they are there to help. Ring them now and let them do their job, then you and mum can move on. Let me know how you get on.

• Posted

It's scary eh. To be ok one minute then all wrong the next. Yes I will contact the hospital if mum doesn't improve over the next few days. Thanks for your concern.

?aabb

Enter text...

• Posted

Let me know how she gets on - mums are precious aren't they.

• Posted

Thank you for your help.

aabb

• Posted

I agree with the other replies. Usually the Oncologist would want a follow up appointment every month or two. Ask to have her referred back to him/her. Go in with her to make sure she gets a new appointment date for her next visit. She may have been told to come back and given a card (appointment) and forgotten about it.harrishill
    • Posted

mum always goes to her 3 month checks. She had one in the middle of August but it was about 2 weeks later she fell ill. 

Aabb

• Posted

I think this stage of your is very critical. I think it’s time t to need your special care. I think you test your blood again. 
    • Posted

Mum got blood results on Monday which were all clear but I am just confused as to why she is still ill.

aabb

• Posted

Hi Aabb. If your mum is still unwell I feel it is time for further investigations. If your GP is unwilling to undertake further tests or refer mum to someone who will investigate further it could well be time to demand a second opinion. Maybe there is another GP at your practice you could see, or another doctor at the hospital? Please let me know, I'll be thinking of you.

• Posted

I was planning on phoning her cancer doctor at the hospital to let him know what's going on and let him advice me. Thanks for your help.

aabb

• Posted

We're all here to help and support each other, I have found this site and the wonderful people on it a great comfort when I've felt stressed (DLBCL and a meningioma can do that to you lol). That's an excellent idea, I'm sure he (or she) will help you - let me know.

• Posted

Hi ... My dad had NHL he was diagnosed when he was 42 he had lumps in his groin, neck and under his arm, he was getting night sweats and tiredness.  he went in to remission for a good few years but sadly at 60 he was diagnosed with stage 4, which is the last stage, he passed away four months after his 60th. My dad always had regular blood works done as the white cell count they can usually tell if the cancer is there again, my dad always remembered his white cell count as its what they look for mainly, he only seen his Oncologist every 6 months or so. He  also did get colds and coughs a lot too but maybe yoor Mom's immune system is low. I wish your Mom and family all the best x

• Posted

Mums NHL was stage 4B when she was diagnosed 21 months ago. Her body didn't even receive the full chemo treatment as it made her very very ill so they had to stop it. The family and doctors didn't think she would make it but she has.  She has been I need remission for 15 months. I now believe in miricles! She always attends appointments etc. I am just very concerned that it may be back. Sorry to hear of your dad.

aabb

• Posted

Hi Angela. I'm very sorry to hear about your dad but would like to make it very clear to aabb that this has no resemblance to the condition that her mum is in. We wouldn't her to sink into depression thinking that this is the end of the line for her mum when she could well just have a bad infection. There is a fine line between sharing our own stories and facts with others on this site and sharing things that may worry or give them concerns. I am so sorry that your dad recovered only to be dealt another blow so many years later but the two illnesses may not have been related, as is the case with aabbs mum. She has made a recovery from cancer and is now unwell, but that does not mean that she has once again succumbed to cancer. I really hope that you remain healthy and treasure the memories of your dad, sometimes life just isn't fair is it. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.