i am so depressed i cant do anything at all what can i do

Posted , 10 users are following.

hi there this is all new to me...i am very depressed been prescribed mirtazapine now for 2 months starting at 15mg now on 30mg....i cant wait to go to sleep and when i wake i dont want to do anything i just stare at floor thinking the worse things are going to happen to me any ideas what i can do just to move regards

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lesley, so sorry that you are feeling so low. I have been where you are now. I am slowly withdrawing from mirt but they did help me get out of my depression. I used to go bed and wish i wouldnt wake up, and when i did the doom and gloom was upon me. I new I had to fight it and the worst thing I could do was sit and dwell on it. I decided i would walk to the shop every morning to buy a paper, not to read but just to buy something. I walked up the shop every morning for a year. I never was a active person and couldnt really be bothered to do it, but it was a better idea that waking with those dredful feelings and sitting there made it worse. Like i say I walked to the shop everyday for a year and over that time the walk got easier, and as time passed I used to find it easier and eventually started to enjoy it. Then one day I realised i didnt need to walk to the shop anymore and I was feeling better. I learnt that exercise really really helps with depression and although i certainly wasnt going to hit the Gym, i new that walking I could do.It was stress free, didnt need to talk to anyone and got fresh air into me and the blood flowing. To this day I believe it helped me emensly. Although my mood is now better i sadly drive to the shop. With regards to the medication when i came depressed medication is only a small part of the healing process and 2 months is not a long time to be on them. Unfortunately everyday seems endless and we want to fast forward, but we can't. It takes around 4-6weeks for a dose increase to have its full effect so i'd hang on in there, wishing you well
    • Posted

hi craig thank you so much for your message it was very kind of you to share your experience with me...i agree that getting out is very important and your idea of getting paper is a great one...some days i can and some days i cant...unfortunately today i cant am stuck to the sofa with fear know i should do womething about it but cant seem to flip the on switch...will stick with the dosage and hope it kicks in soon...hope that you are ok thank you xx
    • Posted

Hi Leslie

Some suggestions - try and do what you used to enjoy doing. You used to enjoy it and there is no reason why you would not do so again.

Also make lists - of what you need to do and then tick them off as you do them.

Also make a timetable in detail of your programme for the day so that your whole day is mapped out. Again in time you won't need to do this.

• Posted

Hi Nick thank you for your kind advice.....will attempt it

problem is i just feel very numb and frozen to the spot

maybe its the antidepressents dont know whether to stick with them

or they having a bad affect on me hard to tell right now im just numb.....kind regards for helping me

• Posted

Hi Lesley

Would I be right that you are somehow araid of doing anything because you only feel safe that way? If you don't move, don't do anything you can't harm yourself etc.

Maybe you go to bed and don't want to wake up. Lying on one's bed is the safest place in the world.

Nick

• Posted

Hi nick.....yes i am somehow afraid of doing anything as i feel safe on my sofa not doing anything.....and yes bed seems to be the safest place in the world right now...its financial worries i have am dreading having my benefits cut off after my atos assessment and its consuming me unfortunately,,,thanks for understanding..i feel so foolish as there are people out there with worse things than me..
    • Posted

Hi Lesley

I am sorry but I don't have any very helpful advice to give. You want to speak to your social worker or care coordinator.

What would you be doing in the normal way?

• Posted

Hello Lesley, i read through your words and felt I needed to give you support, i'm on mirt, have been since 2011. I know the feeling of thinking the worst, simple things can trigger anxiety and feelings of worthlessness. I've been a stronge person all my life but, latterely the feelings of unhappiness and worry had overtaken my focus to rid myself of the negitive thoughts that bring on the anxiety. I wasn't able to talk to anyone about things as I felt this would show me in a bad light and make me klook weak however, I have now developed an ability to be able to share my concerns and be open about my feelings, I can say that this has helped me accept who I am and what I'm going through. This sharing has only begun but, I'm already feeling a bit more positive. I'm still on Mirt and I do belive this is stimulating me in the right way however, I'm no longer just relient on this and have embarked on new ways to help me past my anxiety feelings, getting out more, fresh air, walking and most of all talking. I hope you feel better soon, I encourage you to look for new challanges in your life< something to focus on and help you move forward. take care. something="" to="" focus="" on="" and="" help="" you="" move="" forward.="" take="">
    • Posted

hello peter thank you so much for taking time out to share your kind words they are really appreciated..i too have always been a strong person but lately i have lost myself badly...finding it hard to do absolutey anything get dressed etc...i have been communicating with my friends but still feel very solitary like i am the only one in the world with problems and feel so ashamed like you mentioned.......fear of doing anything at all and sick of moaning at my friends...still on the mirt 30mg at night..i feel ok when i go to bed then when i wake up right back in the black hole again frozen and unable to move....will take some of your advice on board and thank you so much for caring...very kind regards lesley
  • Posted

Hi Lesley, thanks for your reply. I'm on 45mg tabs but feel they are too strong, like you mornings are worse. I'm trying to focus on myself as much as possible but talking is helping me. I feel when I'm at work, that helps.... I think for me the more I interact and talk, I'll get over this. It's hard but I'm getting my mountain bike out again, when I do this and get into the forrest, all that fresh air and oxygen helps.

When you say you feel the worst things are going to happen to you, do they? If not, you need to remember that. Remember also, anxiety makes us feel this way.

Do not let this beat you. Take care.

• Posted

hi Peter thanks for your reply....im on 30mg but i too feel that they may be way too strong for me..i am managing to get out sometimes but when im out i cant wait to get back inside my flat and then i dont know what to do...its the self motivation that i feel has been taken out of me with these tablets......feel all scared of nothing, i think they numb you to everything which is a double edged sword in my case...........and no nothing bad does happen to me so thats a good thing and sound advice from you will take it on board many thanks.....will keep plodding on...hope you do too...wish you well and good luck...
    • Posted

am thinking of reducing to 15mg by myself ive heard this is not a good idea but cant be doing this dosage anymore...so might go ahead and try myself......you never know it might help thanks again..take care
  • Posted

I've had depression for over a year. I was assured it would lift Ha Ha. I can't get motivated either. Sometimes I can do things bu not consistently. I don't know what I'd do with my hubby.

advice I was given years ago. Was always get up washed and get your clothes on. Your medication is quite a light dose so maybe you are not as bad as you think. Hope your life returns to normal soon x

• Posted

Hi I been ill for the last month or so with my anxiety and depression I went to my gp and they referred me to the mental health team I have been put on mirtazapine I'm nervous of taking it but it worth the try

• Posted

HI LAUREN i also have anx/dep/chronic insomnia..been taking 3.75mg for 15 days.the first night i took 7.5mg got 3 hrs sleep a zombie next day ..so reduced it to the 3.75 but no sleep BUT THE DEP/ ANX.HAS REDUCED A VERY LOTi feel 75% better ..just no sleep so lay in bed till 11am to recover from no sleep then i am fine all day..phoned dr he said stay on 3.75mg for another week to see what happens with sleep if not increase dose to 5/6 mg.why dont you start on 3.75 to see what happens..it may just help you like it has me.i cannot wait for next week to see what happens..all the best BLUESY .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.