I am SO SO AFRAID after my endoscopy results, I need someone who understands.. .

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone... 

I've never posted here before but just found this forum. I am very desperate for help and I don't think anyone around me understands the level of anxiety I've been going through.

I've been having really bad bowel issues for 3 or 4 months, GI always said it is probably IBS but let's do colonoscopy anyway-so we did, and everything came back normal thank God. But then it was suggested I do an upper Endoscopy to check for celiac disease, because some blood work came back off. 

So anyway, I had my endoscopy on Tuesday and they called me today with results and they said no cancer (thank God), but I have a small ulcer in my small intestine AND MILD chronic gastritis (negative for h.pylori)... my GI also found a stomach polyp but she said she wasn't concerned, it was benign, the common type.  

I am SO afraid of stomach cancer, and every where I read, I read that Chronic Gastritis usually is a step away from Stomach Cancer. I can't stop thinking about it. It's like okay maybe I don't have it today, but next year or next month my stomach can start making those changes that lead to cancer. I admit, I haven't been the healthiest these last 6 months-smoking cigarettes, lots of coffee, and I gained 40 pounds because I stopped eating healthy and running... but the fact that this is "CHRONIC" is what scares me. I don't know how to let this go... the office said "no intervention is needed at this time" and just put me on Nexus 40MGS once a day for 30 days. 

I can't let this fear go.. does chronic gastritis ALWAYS lead to stomach cancer eventually???

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Remember that your diet is the culprit. Change your diet and eat more fiber. Also, take some apple cider vinegar with the mother every morning before your 1st meal. See how that helps and be patient. Extra Virgin Olive oil works great too. Take action !
  • Posted

Anxiety will never let your gastric go mark my words .., you should start taking anxiety medication and you will be fine ,.. Because I had the same problem as yours ., I was having severe anxiety but then its nothing., take yoga classes , make your mind strong at first ,. Don't google yourself and self diagnose ,. The doctors knows what's best for you so don't worry too much 

• Posted

Dear Jonur, I can understand your anxiety for future cancer. I went thru this when my mother was diagnosed with Breast ca and then colon ca. I had myself so worked up over a long period of time, I basically had no life cause it was always on my mind. Then one day my primary doctor sat me down and said “ you don’t have cancer now and you are not living because you are allowing this to take over your life. That conversation changed everything for me! One thing to remember, if you continue to be screened, then if you were to get cancer, it would be found early. I sincerely hope you can take this advice!! 
  • Posted

No a lot of people have gastritis and it does not always lead to cancer not even with Hpylori. You have to change your diet, it will take time but chances are you will completely heal but your stomach may become sensitive which is not a bad thing either. But you have to say goodbye to cigeretes and coffee or tea or any artificial drinks. Go natural and you will see the difference. Increase your water intake aswell.
  • Posted

Don’t worry about things that haven’t happened and may never happen!   Stress will make your gastritis worse. Do a food diary to see what foods may trigger symptoms.  Avoid fatty, rich and spicy foods, eat blandly and eat little but often.  Take the PPI prescribed for you to protect your stomach lining.
  • Posted

Thank you all so much for your responses! The fact that you all took the time to respond to me is amazing and I appreciate it so much. 

I’m trying really hard to not let this get to me but it is so difficult. It’s almost like I feel like I am at a precancerous state or something and just scared what if “today is the day something turns” since I feel like gastritis is one step closer to my biggest fear... UGH!  Xoxoxo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.