I am starting Methotrexate tomorrow...

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I am starting this tomorrow, and i am really nervous reading all the comments as i am doing a 12 hour shift tomorrow so i dont want to be sick, should i take them at night time? Or the morning like my consultant said? 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

My rheumatologist told me to take it at night then any nausea may be wearing off by morning.Also folic acid on the days of the week you do not take methotrexate is supposed to help.If side effects on GP tract is too great there is always the option of subcutaneous injections you do yourself-I am on these and it is a fiddle once they teach you.I am in U.K. so get them on the NHS.
    • Posted

I work for the NHS lovely so i will be able to do them no problem, ive asked advise off the doctors and nurses but i wanted someone who was on them to give me advice smile thank you, i might take them tonight then when i get in. Im pretty sure it doesnt matter when you take them dose it? 
  • Posted

I'm sure everyone is affected differently, however, I would suggest you take it in the middle of your shift.  It won't affect you much the last 6 hours and will give you time to get off, rest and feel better.  My doctor told me to start with 4 pills.  So take your 2 or 3 (half of what the doctor ordered and take the remainder of the dose within a 12 hour period.  That's my 2 cents!  Good luck!
    • Posted

Thank you lovely, i work for the NHS in the uk but i wanted advice from someone who is on them, all the comments are scaring me though. I dont take folic acid on the day i take these? I take 2 for now as they want to introduce me on them. I have a fatty liver and my liver function came back a bit high off my blood tests x
    • Posted

No, don't take the folic acid on the day you take them, with 2, if take 1 in the middle of my shift and the 2nd when I got off work. biggrin
    • Posted

I will try taking them both at the same time for now and see how i get on smile
  • Posted

Patients who get sick with MTX naturally post on this site to get help and support. And I am glad they do. But they are a "self selecting" population (not to denigrate their discomfort). In other words, there are many who do not experience the sickness that others do, including myself and some acquaintances who are on MTX. So you may not even feel that you took the drug......except that after a while, weeks or months, you feel better! I am hoping you have a positive experience and feel better.
  • Posted

How'd it go?
    • Posted

Hey, I feel a bit sick and drained! Like I'm not here but apart from that I feel ok, thank god! Thank you for asking xx
    • Posted

Sounds about right...tomorrow you will be all good and back to your norm.  Hope you feel better...
    • Posted

I took it Monday night thinking I will be ok but I'm not! Still feel crappy is this normal? Xx
    • Posted

Yes.  Or, normal for me.  I took my first dose Thursday nite.  I was prescribed 4 pills per week, so I took 2 Thursday nite before bed and 2 Friday morning. Monday was my "back to myself"  day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.