I AM STENT FREE !!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

After 8 1/2 weeks, and 2 different stents, I am finally Stent Free. Went to the doctor yesterday to have the stent removed. When I got to his office I was told he was going to do a Cystoscopy and also remove the stent. When the doctor came into the room with the nurse, I asked him if he was going to numb me and he said no, you'll be fine. I could feel the stent being pulled out, but It really wasn't that painful, but I was surprised at how long the stent was. It had to be at least 2 feet. Now the doctor wants me to go back to his office in about a month, and have an Ultra Sound of both kidneys, to make sure they are okay. Thanks again to all the people on here that were there for.

Barb     

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I really wish some of these doctors would go through this. There are a few conversations on regarding non obstructed kidney stones. The urologist I have seen has told me even the slightest movement can cause pain? I'm glad your done with it. Good luck and take care.

• Posted

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for wishing me good luck. I agree with you, and I really think doctors would treat patients differently, if they knew what it was like to have pain from a kidney stone/s, or to be waiting for surgery.     

Barb

• Posted

Excellent news Barb! They did not numb me either when they removed my stent. It stung and was uncomfortable, but it was about 15 seconds, which is nothing compared to the rest of it.
    • Posted

Hi Derek,

Yes, it did sting, and it was uncomfortable, when the doctor was removing the stent, but it went quickly, and it was something I could handle without a problem, and I can't handle much when it comes to pain. 

Barb

• Posted

Glad to hear you feel better! I’ve had several stents and may need more... so I feel your pain and subsequent relief !! 

Best Wishes 

Angie. 

• Posted

Hi Angie,

I am so sorry to hear you may have to have more stents. Have you been having Kidney Stones for a long time? I'm in my 70's and this was the first time I ever had one, and I sure hope I never get another one. 

Take care.

Barb

• Posted

Barb, I'm so happy for you! And you didn't even need the numbing cream! Yeah, I remember him pulling the stent out and I thought he was done and said, "That wasn't so baaa...!!" And was jolted by the next leg of the thing. It was much longer than anticipated. I hope this is the last of it for you and the stones. Are you feeling better?

I might be having phantom pains or moving stones, but I'm definitely feeling a dull ache on both sides of my back. I broke down and bought the stone breaker herb (Chanca Piedra) because if it works, I will be a very happy lady. I'm also ordering an inversion table as a Christmas present to myself. Maybe it will help move sediment from my kidneys if I use it several times per day. Plus we have back problems/sciatica, so it will serve to help with other issues.

Merry Christmas and good health to you!

Ashley

• Posted

Hi Ashley,

I felt the same way as you did. He pulled some out, and handed it to the nurse who was standing right there, and I thought the only thing left for him to do, was to take the cystoscope out. WRONG!!!  Next thing I knew he said to the nurse, pull, pull, pull, and more just kept coming out of me, and I thought to myself, there isn't any way all that could have been in me, but it was. No wonder I felt like I had to pee all the time!

I'm feeling much better now that it's out, but I guess the stress really got to me, because I'm not back to feeling like my normal self yet. If that makes any sense. 

I sure hope that stone breaker herb and/or the inversion table works for you. The only other thing I ever heard of trying is lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil mixed together. What I read says it will help prevent stones and also help you pass them. I've been drinking lemon juice every day since I read that, but can't handle the olive oil. OH NO, tried that one time and tummy was not right for days. Not doing that again. 

Hope you have a Merry Christmas, and that whatever you try, works, so that you will be pain free.

Barb

• Posted

What a lovely Christmas present for you Barb1705..no stent yippee. Im so happy for you. I have two things to ask you if you would be kind enough..

Firstly how do you feel now, are you pain free? I ask as yesterday they managed to remove my stone. The consultant is taking the stent out on Christmas Day n sounds a similar thing to what you have just experienced and Im happy to hear it wasnt such an awful procedure. The stent not as painful now as its lower but as its taped to my leg I keep catching it now and again but im in no where near as much pain as before.

Secondly I had a lot of bladder spasms during my '7 stented weeks of hell' and last night with the new position was no exception. Im just wondering if Im likely to still have these once Im stent free as they bring me to my knees especially at night... Im hoping once theres nothing there to irritate it will not occur any more..did you have any experience of this?

• Posted

Hi Earlybird,

I'm fine now that the stent is out - no pain at all. The only problem I'm having now, is I don't have all my energy back yet. I just don't feel like myself, and I think it's from stress, but I'll get over it.

The first stent that the doctor put in after surgery, was in for 7 1/2 weeks, then he took that one out during the 2nd surgery, and put another one in. That's the one I just had taken out, and it was only in for 1 week. Both of the stents made me feel like I had to pee all the time. I would no sooner come out of the bathroom, and felt like I had to go back in. Thank goodness that stopped happening after the stent was taken out.

Getting the stent out was no big deal, so I realize that I did a lot of crying, and got myself really upset, for nothing. 

I don't know if your doctor will do a Cystoscoopy when he/she removes the stent, but I found out at the last minute that my doctor does do one, when he removes a stent. The paper I got from the doctors office with Discharge Instructions, said after a Cystoscopy, you can expect burning while urinating for the next 48 hours, and you can also expect to see blood in your urine for the next 48 hours, and the doctor told me I would go into spasms. Well, I'm really glad I haven't had any burning or spasms.

I really don't know that much about stents, but I'm a little confused about what you wrote, because you said the stent is taped to your leg, and I thought a stent was always inside your body, not on the outside. My stents were inside. 

I know many times Catheters are taped to your leg, but I've never heard of them doing that with a stent, but like I said, I don't know much about stents.

I wish I could be of more help to you, but all I can do is hope that once you are stent free, that you will also be pain free.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing. 

Barb     

• Posted

Barb, some people are given stents that have a string hanging out for easier removal. Sometimes they even let the patient remove it at home. I've never been given that option (I think doctors suspect that the thing will drive us so crazy, we will pull it out early). I also had the cystoscopy for removal (couldn't remember the name...but it's a camera tube sent up to grab the stent). Earlybird will only need to have hers pulled, nothing sent back up. I was told about blood and spasms after and also didn't really notice any.

• Posted

Thank you for this information. You're really smart, and I'm learning new things every day. I'm just glad the doctor didn't leave anything hanging out of me, I would have been afraid to move. I can do things to other people, to help them, etc., but I could never pull something like that out of myself. NEVER.

Barb 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.