I am suffering with Hidradenitis suppurativa.

Posted , 3 users are following.

When I became pregnant with my first child in 2013, I started getting these boils under my right armpit.  So, I went and seen my primary care physician, and he referred me to a dermatologist.  The dermatologist said that it was acne, but I knew that was not true.  But, I guess being pregnant set off a red flag.  They would go away and reappear month after month.  After I had my daughter, the nurse practioner referred me back to the same dermatologist after she cultured my wound and stated that it was a staph infection.  I went for over a year thinking it was staph.  Last week I grew tired of this situation and asked for any alternatives.  So, he referred me to a general surgeon whom I see next Wednesday.  Hopefully, he will remove my sweat gland or the affected area.  It has been three years, and I do not think I can take another month in this pain. 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hello, I will be having the surgery in August. I have heard there are pros and cons to having it, but I have tried everything else that has been suggested. So I am going for it. It requires a lot of down time, but I just want this gone. When are you scheduled for?
    • Posted

I go and see the surgeon Wednesday to see would he do a surgery. Hopefully he will. Thanks for responding.
    • Posted

No problem. Let me know how that goes. A plastic surgeon is performing my surgery.
    • Posted

I'm seeing a general surgeon, but I will let you know what he says.

• Posted

I tried that a year ago with a plastic surgeon too but it all came back after the clean up
    • Posted

Ive started remicade infusion now hoping it will help but it wont be a cure!
    • Posted

I have seen the surgeon. I will be having surgery on both armpits in August.
    • Posted

I will be too on the 30th. I guess we wll have to see how it goes. I will keep you updated and I wish you the best of luck.
    • Posted

Okay...please update me when you can. I am doing both arms too. How long did they say your down time will be?
    • Posted

Great question but I don't know because they didn't tell me nor did I ask. I will when I go for my pre-op on August 9th.

• Posted

I went to my pre-op today, and it went great. I am having the surgery in 6 days nervous, but super ready. I know the surgery is called excision bilateral hidradenitis axillae. The surgeon is going to suture (close) the wound; however, I do not know whether or not he is going to do a primary closure or skin flaps. However, I do know there will be o skin grafts. Are you armpits going to be left opened or closed using primary closure, skin flaps, or skin grafts? I believe my down time will be a month, which I was told by the surgeon head nurse. I do not know for sure given that I would rather hear it from the surgeon himself.
    • Posted

Hey...I am not having any skin grafting either. Please let me know how it goes. I took over of work for 3 weeks. I don't think we will be able to do much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.