I am switching from Amitriptyline to Trazodne. What about weight gain on Traz?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was on Amitriptyline for 5 years, for chronic insomnia, but put on a lot of weight because of it. Doctor now prescribed Trazodone.

I have now read so many conflicting (both positive and negative) reports that I am frightened to take it. I am on a week break from Ami, until I can start on Trazodone. Can I expect a weight problem to develop with it too?? Rose 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I have been on it 5 years I take 150mg at night. I dos help u sleep. Can take a time to get in to the swing of the day. I have had no weight issues at all.

Hope this as help keith

• Posted

Thank you Keith. Just what I want to hear. May I ask your age and why you are taking this (optional!). 

Sorry to sound pessimistic but men do tend to put weight on less than women (depending on height and age etc...)  Are you very active, go to the gym, watch your weight??? 

Thanks. Your reply helped me a lot

Rose

• Posted

I have been taking them for 5 years I take 150mg at night. I don't know if it's the tablets but I take a while to get up but once I am up it's fine. No weight issues.

Hope this as helped keith

• Posted

Hi Rose

I've actually lost weight since I started taking Trazodone last year.

• Posted

Lisa, thanks. Very encouraging to hear that. Can I ask you the same questions as to Keith, ie why are you taking it and how old you are? It would be helpful.

Rose

• Posted

Hi Rose

I'm taking it for insomnia, ive been on it for nearly 12mths, 100mg and I'm 43 x

• Posted

Ps I'm not very active ive got a very bad back. X

• Posted

Hi Rose Have you tried the trazodone yet? My doctor prescribed it for me last week and I'm scared to try it, everything I've read is mostly negative! I'm on mirtazipine 7.5mg which I'm tapering off to start the trazodone.

• Posted

Hello Pamela, I am afraid I have tried one Tramzone tablet one night for the first time last week, but I had such a reaction that I was indeed scared! I haven't had another one since. I am waiting to speak to my doctor. She'll phone me back on Wed. In the meatime, no med and no sleep. I feel terrible. I'll write to you more a bit later on to describe the adverse reaction I had and will ask if anyone out there has had similar experience. Rose. 

• Posted

Hello Pamela, here I am again for my second message today. 

About my one and only tablet of Trazodone last week, after I took it (50mg), I went to bed as directed and sat reading for a while. When I started feeling sleepy, I switched off the light and put my head down on the pilow. Within seconds of doing that I felt like a rush of blood to my head and to my nose. I felt instantly all congested and uncomfortable. I couldn't breathe through my nose... and I can't breathe very well through my mouth. So, I sat up and turned the light on as I was in a panic. I was hoping that after a while the blood / the congestion would subside but it did not. I couldn't lie down again and I spent most of the night in the sitting position, trying to shift the awful feeling in my head and nose. I aslo started having aches in my calves muscles as if I had the flu' and a high temperature. This spread very much throughout my body. I barely slept (who would sitting down?) and I felt absolutely awful the next day. The congested feeling lasted three days! No flu' of course. I believe it was some sort of allergic reaction to Trazodone and I haven't taken it since. I am waiting to speak to my doctor. She hasn't been in for a few days. Couldn't get an appointment, but the recptionist promised she'll phone me on Wed. So I shall see what she says. But whatever she says, I am too scared to take another Traz. So, the search for a suitable med for me is still on. 

In the meantime, while I have having a discussion about Amitriptyline on another page, I received replies from participants, about this wonder Food Supplement called 5-HTP, which is supposed to alleviate most symptoms from anxiety, depression, insomnia. Apparently it works by sending serotonin to the brain from your gut (hard to imagine that happiness is actually stored in our gut !!!).

I ordered 5-HTP from Amazon and will receive it tomorrow. See if it works. I let you know. 

Now before I go, the most important thing I need to say and emphasize to you is this: IT SEEMS THAT NO ONE HAS THE SAME REACTION TO THE SAME DRUG. What I have experienced is not necessarily what you will. I hope I have not put you off. 

By the way, are you supposed to start on Traz while at the same cutting down on Mirtazapine???? Will you not be mixing a toxic cocktail here??? However, the doctor and the pharmacist know best.

Best wishes.

Rose

PS: I had a bad reaction to Mirtazapine too!!!! But that's another story.

• Posted

Amit. Over 25 years never made me gain weight. You have to exercise. some  of the nasty pills like cymbalta will stack on the pounds. Why change if you are not having any psyc. problems. So many of the antidepressants have horrible side effects and killer withdrawl.  Why change if it is doing its job with no side effects. Talk to your doctor and research the pills. I never thought about weight gain until i started taking the devil pill cymbalta. Getting it out of my body is horrible. It has been breaking through after almost 2 months of step down. One day is good , the next horrible groggy and crying, with  no pain relief from my new pill. I am still on my night time amit. and have added to the morning. It has the best pain reliever. Cymbalta did nothing for me , but make my brain crazy. It gets in every cell. Even horrible red bloody looking areas on my arms. Some people get big blisters on their feet. My skin aged 10 years with the withdrawl. It is like a poison. I an happy with the old and proven Amit. .  
    • Posted

I can fully sympathise with Cymbalta withdrawal it was hell.
    • Posted

Thanks Ose. I am glad Amit works for you. Never again for me. As I have said time and time again, the same med seems to affect people in different way. What works for me may not work for you. If you have any doubt about how it has affected my weight, I refer you to my conversations on the other page, particularly those I exchanged with Will. I have not tried Cymballa, but, from what I gather no chance I ever will. Please read some of Will's post. they are a true inspiration. Take care. Rose

• Posted

I have been taking trazodone for at least 25 years. I started at 25 mg and am now taking 100 mg at bedtime to help with sleep. I love it. It works with no side effects and I'll probably continue forever. I'm 76 years old, so "forever" may not be too far away. LOL I also take several antidepressants and anti anxiety medicattion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.