I am taking on average 40mg of Zopiclone per day for a few years. Would like to cut down. Advice?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am taking on average 40mg of Zopiclone per day for a few years. Would like to cut down to 15mg. Started on 15mg 30 years ago. Last few years I have slowly increased. Now experiencing lots of ill effects especially tiredness all the time. Any insights appreciated

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have been on Zolpidem for nearly 10 years. I used to finish a 4 week script in 2 weeks and basically take 2 or 3 most nights before bed as it relaxed me. I then went to my doctor who decided to put me on a weekly dispense. I have been on a two weekly pick up for years. It enables me to not take too much.

I tend to 20 mg on nights I want to be fresh the next day, then that means I will have less other nights and would settle with just 5 mg low strength. I can't ask for them early as we agreed I wouldn't do that again and I don't now. So I just have to accept having less, or on one night per week, none.

I don't think I can get off them, for reasons I don't need to explain as they are personal.

I'd normally go:

Monday: 20mg

Tueseday 15mg

Wednesday: 10 mg

Thursday: 5mg

Friday: 5mg

Saturday: 5mg

Sunday: 5mg

I've accepted the idea that if I take more one bed time I go with less the next bed time and it at least helps me not to build up a really bad tolerance.

I feel ashamed and embarrassed by it, that I'm some sort of legal junky, but I'm not, I'm just someone who got addicted to something that generally changed my life. While being on Zolpidem I managed to succeed massively at golf, get married, get a dog, buy a house, get a job I love and now have a baby. Back in 2010 I wanted to die. I have never ever had that sleep walking side effect. Just myself feel ashamed that I've only managed to have a life due to a drug and that it's all one big lie. I mean people drink daily after work to cope and have great life's, maybe mines is to take a relaxing tablet?

I also have cut down on my alcohol anyway, now 3 days drink free in evenings and when I've had a drink I'm always taking 5 mg not 20mg...

Don't know how you feel personally by it all, but that's my story.

• Posted

I have been on Zolpidem for nearly 10 years. I used to finish a 4 week script in 2 weeks and basically take 2 or 3 most nights before bed as it relaxed me. I then went to my doctor who decided to put me on a weekly dispense. I have been on a two weekly pick up for years. It enables me to not take too much.

I tend to 20 mg on nights I want to be fresh the next day, then that means I will have less other nights and would settle with just 5 mg low strength. I can't ask for them early as we agreed I wouldn't do that again and I don't now. So I just have to accept having less, or on one night per week, none.

I don't think I can get off them, for reasons I don't need to explain as they are personal.

I'd normally go:

Monday: 20mg

Tueseday 15mg

Wednesday: 10 mg

Thursday: 5mg

Friday: 5mg

Saturday: 5mg

Sunday: 5mg

I've accepted the idea that if I take more one bed time I go with less the next bed time and it at least helps me not to build up a really bad tolerance.

I feel ashamed and embarrassed by it, that I'm some sort of legal junky, but I'm not, I'm just someone who got addicted to something that generally changed my life. While being on Zolpidem I managed to succeed massively at golf, get married, get a dog, buy a house, get a job I love and now have a baby. Back in 2010 I wanted to die. I have never ever had that sleep walking side effect. Just myself feel ashamed that I've only managed to have a life due to a drug and that it's all one big lie. I mean people drink daily after work to cope and have great life's, maybe mines is to take a relaxing tablet?

I also have cut down on my alcohol anyway, now 3 days drink free in evenings and when I've had a drink I'm always taking 5 mg not 20mg...

Don't know how you feel personally by it all, but that's my story.

• Posted

ive weaned from 15mg zopiclone to zero in 5 months. currently experiencing rebound insomnia and its brutal. i just cut tablets in 1/8ths and dropped every 2 -3 weeks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.