I am taking prednisone for pmr.

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have been taking the very nasty drug for 3 mths for PMR and have gotten nowhere except I have developed nearly every side effect listed plus I think some that haven’t been listed. Does anybody know of anything else hat controls PMR? I don’t know what’s worse PMR or the side effects to the prednisone 

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My side effects to the prednisone are very debilitating I struggle daily with them impacting on my life as it once was. I started on 50mg and have slowly come down to 10mg with quite a few flares in between I have noticed taking 10mg some of my side effects have settled down a little bit, but I have constant pain in certain areas ie. right & left shoulder, right & left hand, and the back of my legs, but it’s usually gone by 2 in the afternoon. Nobody said this was a long term sentence, until I started researching, I just thought it would go away. (I wish it would) I’m going to see a new doctor and I wonder if he will tell me more on how to control this disease, or will he keep a secret like the last one.

sorry but I still think prednisone is a nasty drug with too many side effects that we know of.

does anyone know how to get rid of a constant cough, that I have already pulled a back muscle and now that hurts, the cough came from nowhere and is just hanging on.

• Posted

I developed a nasty cough at the beginning of this year and it simply wouldn't go away. I tried two rounds of antibiotics and I got to feeling better so I know I had a chest infection but the cough was still there. I was also coughing up gunk. I had my annual visit with my pulmonologist and I mentioned it to her but she said that she didn't hear anything in my lungs and it was probably allergies. It's just the same thing my GP said by the way. But then she said she wanted to double-check and make sure so she ordered an x-ray of my chest. The X-ray had a little something on it which made her want to do a CT and finally the CT showed I had something called bronchiectasis. So I'm taking the long way around of this but I suggest that you see your doctor and insist on a chest x-ray. You might tell him or her you want to rule out anything important. even today with my bronchiectasis diagnosis every doctor that listens to my chest says I sound clear and yet I have all this mucus in there to cough up. I do not know why they don't hear it in my chest but I've had others who had bronchiectasis say the same thing happens to them.

• Posted

what exactly is bronchiectasis?....anytime I hear of a lung problem, I like to get the info due to MY OWN lung issue ( with the paralyzed diaphragm).

when you get a chance, please let me know....thx!

• Posted

Bronchiectasis usually is the result of an infection or other condition that injures the walls of your airways or prevents the airways from clearing mucus. Mucus is a slimy substance that the airways produce to help remove inhaled dust, bacteria, and other small particles.

• Posted

LOL....yeah I do know what mucus is...I've had 2 kids and taught kindergarten 4 30yrs! lol

seriously tho....could having had pneumonia 2x cause this result?

I've had a "teensy" spot identified in my lung ( been checked and rechecked) and told not to worry....😲

any idea's?

• Posted

It has been said amongst healthcare professionals for many years "Beware the silent chest!" Both my daughter and husband have chests that sound fine - it took nearly a litre of fluid to make OH's sound different!

• Posted

Bronchiectasis affects the bronchial tubes

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/bronchiectasis/

https://www.asthmafoundation.org.nz/your-health/living-with-bronchiectasis

As it gets worse, the ends of the bronchial tubes start to look like balloons look like when they have been blown up for a long time and then let down - and aren't elastic enough to be able expel the mucus that is produced. That makes it easier for infections to get established and the infection may get worse causing more damage. It is said to be very uncommon - I'm not so sure, I think it is probably underdiagnosed.

When you want to know what these various things are just use google for the word and then look at a government health site like the NHS one in the UK which will describe it in fairly easy to understand language but accurately.

• Posted

thanks for the info! I will refer to Google in the future for terminology I'm unfamiliar with....just kinda nice to ask each other for advice and answers! i think we all like to feel like we're helping each other when we can! it's good for the soul!😇

• Posted

Yes, I understand that - but we have to look it up too to be sure we have it right and we are all patients too who do what we do here for love. I spend 3 or 4 hours a day reading and answering questions about PMR and CA as well as a lot of other things. If there is something you then don't understand do ask but if you look it up you will find favourite sites that you like for looking for such info and can get an answer more quickly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.