I am the mother of a seven year old boy with glue ear.My...

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am the mother of a seven year old boy with glue ear.My son has had it since he was six month old.He is now in primary two,and I have just learned he is not coping in school with the work, he is working a year behind.

He has been going to speach therpy since he was two.

I had a meeting before he went to school and told the doctors that I did,nt thing he would cope well in main stream school at that time, but they did,nt listen to me.Now i face a second meeting to decide what to do, I can,t face taking him out of school now he has made loads of pals. I think this is just another case of not listening to the PARENTS.

[i:b8316e80fc]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:b8316e80fc]

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am pleased you entered your experience on this web site. I am pleased to find I am not the only one going through this. My child has hearing aids as he has 40% loss of hearing. In addition to this he has glue ear. As you say the teachers really dont understand and dont know how to deal with this. I think the teachers need some extra support to show them how to deal with this.

[i:2b5e523c28]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:2b5e523c28]

• Posted

I have had this experience with my son who is now 8 but it took 4 years for doctors to finally do anything. Keep pushing the doctors don't always accept what they are telling you. I didn't push and i feel so guilty now that i let him go on like this.

Also try complementary medicine. my son had both accupuncture and candle burning( stick a length of wax into the ear and light it draws out the wax) and these made him feel much better although only temporarily. But keep pushing the doctors, they miss out on so much if ther hearing is impared.

[i:b11453c27b]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:b11453c27b]

• Posted

[quote:f9b608a500=\"A.\"]I am the mother of a seven year old boy with glue ear.My son has had it since he was six month old.He is now in primary two,and I have just learned he is not coping in school with the work, he is working a year behind.

He has been going to speach therpy since he was two.

I had a meeting before he went to school and told the doctors that I did,nt thing he would cope well in main stream school at that time, but they did,nt listen to me.Now i face a second meeting to decide what to do, I can,t face taking him out of school now he has made loads of pals. I think this is just another case of not listening to the PARENTS.

[i:f9b608a500]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:f9b608a500][/quote:f9b608a500]

• Posted

I can help you, just on the way out of the door but will come back to you. Am experiencing the exact same, there is definately light at the end of the tunnel but be prepared for a battle.
  • Posted

Hi

It may not mean much but I was a chronic sufferer for a good 9 years on and off with six or seven operations under my belt, born with acute Acute otitis media which resulted in the damage of my ear. I was a severe dyslexic (the deafness did not help), 80% deaf in both ears for five years, I struggled to read, write and speak often resorting to violence when my friends didnt understand me,(I couldnt read or write fluently until I was 10 years old) for years my parents pushed and pushed the system and as a result Ive come out the good end, hopefully with a full set of GCSE, its a case of persitance,hang on and NEVER TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER.Im sure it will clear up!

good luck

• Posted

My son is now almost 20 and is having a relapse of glue ear. He was diagnosed with glue ear when he was 2 and thanks to a great GP he received speech therapy right away. The glue ear had inpaired his hearing and thus his speech. He received speech and occupational therapy at our local childrens centre, Thames Valley until he was 5. Before he started kindergarten he had his tonsils and adnoids removed. He did not receive tubes as he had no scar tissue. I will tell all parents this. YOU are your CHILDS only ADVOCATE. You can not be shy and quiet about your childs care. The school systems are overtaxed and you child is just another child with a problem. You know your child best. You must do what you think is best you can not second guess your every decission. You need to make the best decision for your child. I also did not move my son to a different school because he was so shy and had good friends if I had to do it over again I would have moved him. He really struggled in the public school system. If you were to ask him though he wouldn't agree with me. He still has the same friends now as he did when he started school. These friends understand him and don't judge him. Through them he made even more friends in high school. He is a well adjusted, pleasant normal teenager. He has a part time job and a wonderful girlfriend. The time flies by even though this is a tough time it does get better. Fight for your child and you will be rewarded.
  • Posted

Hi

My son is 3 years and 9 months. Ever since he was three months old I was telling doctors I thought he had problems with adenoids and tonsils but was ignored. He is my 2nd child by the time he was 2 and wasn,t talking I asked my health visitor to refer him for speech therapy, which had a 10 month waiting list. In the mean time I requested to be seen by an audiologist after 3 hearing tests over nine months and being practically deaf in his right ear, they decided he would need grommets, he was then referred the E.N.T Once seen by them they decided they would take his adenoids and tonsils out also. Which he will be having done next wednesday. Just goes to show a mothers instinct is right and doctors and health visitors should listen to us mums more. Also I am so thankful he was my 2nd child otherwise I might not have noticed the problem quite as soon as I did and might only just be beginning this whole process. So hopefully all his problems will be sorted out by the time he starts school in september

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.