I am trying to detox at home

Posted , 15 users are following.

few days ago I acknowledged to myself that I have a drinking problem. So, I joined an outpatient detox group. They prescribed me Librium and naltrexone. But initial doses of Librium made me sleep so much that I barely woke up to eat. So I spoke with my doctor and they reduced it to once every 10 hours for two days and then one every 12 hrs for two days and finally one every 24 hrs. That's sort of fine with me but my. Ravings have increased. I was not supposed to drink on Librium but I had three drinks today. I want to stop drinking and follow my medicine routine. Can someone advice me about how to do it. When should I take my next dose of Librium and naltrexone after I have had my last drink? How should I stop myself?

1 like, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You shouldn't and shouldn't need to be drinking whilst taking Librium. Partly it's dangerous, partly you shouldn't need to if the dosage is right and partly you are ruining the detox by drinking.

• Posted

I agree. That's why I want to stop drinking and restart my detox plan. Can I still do that? If yes if I took my last drink say at 8.00 pm when can I retake my Librium dose? I will try my best not to drink after this.

• Posted

Depends on how much Librium you have left. Your GP does know that naltrexone is not for people that have given up drinking, but for those trying to cut it down or stop?
  • Posted

I agree with RHGB that it is risky to drink whilst on medication. What are your goals to stop drinking? Tough question but has to be asked.
    • Posted

my goal is to quit drinking long enough that it is not an every evening event. Once in a blue moon , in a social or professional setting its ok. But not if it will restart the cycle of drinking every time m anxious or upset.
    • Posted

Also I used drink socially for fun, now it seems to have a become an emotional burden. I don't want it anymore.

• Posted

thanks Robin for helping meidebintifying my goals.
  • Posted

This is appalling, you have clearly been given medication with no advice and absolutely no idea how to take it. Alcohol detox should be properly supervised and there is no benefit in taking naltrexone during a detox, that is for afterwards. Are you alone at home doing this?

You shouldn't drink alcohol with Librium, it is not only risky but the detox simply won't work. The whole idea is that you stop drinking and use the Librium to control the withdrawal symptoms. I suspect that you were probably on adequate dosage when you say that you were too sedated and the reduction may well have been too quick.

I can't advise on when you should take Librium after drinking. It really depends on many factors, some people start to have withdrawal symptoms when they still have quite large amounts of alcohol in their body.

Regarding naltrexone, the only way it works effectively is with The Sinclair Method, Google that. Just check with the doctor what the intention was when naltrexone was prescribed. I can't tell you to take it a different way to what your doctor has said although all the evidence says that naltrexone does nothing at all for people who abstain.

Give your doctor a call and be honest. You clearly haven't had proper instruction and supervision and this needs to be done correctly.

Good luck!

• Posted

I completely agree with Paul.

Go back and talk with the physician who prescribed your medication, sb.  Your health could be at risk and this is a serious thing. 

• Posted

Thanks Paul. I did talk to my doctor and was honest about drinking on detox. She helped me formulate a plan. I will let you people know how it goes.
    • Posted

My son is ready for detox and after finding out the cost, I would like to detox him at home.  I am a retired nurse and he is 38.  He has been drinking a lot for a long time but is still a functioning alcoholic.  He is in good health except for the fact he smokes and drinks.  He still works every day.  Dr. said his liver is a little damaged but not bad.  After reading all the posts about Librium, this seems doable at home with the proper instruction and knowledge and support.  I just don't know how to go about getting him Librium.  He lives in another state and I want him to come down here to Florida and stay with me while he detoxes.  If he agrees.  I still have a lot of reading to do about the detox process but any help is appreciated.  He doesn't have a Dr. where he lives yet since he just switched insurance companies and I am not sure he could get on a plane with Librium.  I don't know, maybe he could.  Thanks for any advice.

• Posted

Dear Charlotte. Great to hear from you and what a superb plan you have for son. Most people on this forum are based in the United Kingdom. I cannot assist you since I stopped without any medication 5 years ago. Perhaps other people will see your comments and reply. Regards Robin
    • Posted

With insurance in the US, you can usually just ask for what you want, as opposed to the UK where you have to get a doctor's authorisation. If they will just give you the medication, to do the detox at home with a responsible adult (you), then the insurance should cover it as the actual medication is cheap. It is the back up and monitoring (if enforced) which hikes up the cost.

He really needs to be supervised by you, to ensure he doesn't carry on drinking whilst detoxing - one, it is dangerous (health) and two, it will ruin the detox.

As for taking it on a plane, I do not know US State laws, but since the medication is also given for things like anxiety, as long as the box shows that the medication has been prescribed and not bought on the black market/abroad, I don't see a problem.

Here is the biggy and it really is a biggy. Detoxing only weans the body physically off of alcohol and stops withdrawal symptoms. It also settles the brain for a few weeks. But, for a 'functioning alcoholic' (your words, not mine) he will still be neurologically addicted and his mind will wander back to alcohol - no matter how hard he tries, he will eventually falter.

There are tow main medications to help this, Campral if he wants to give up altogether and naltrexone if he wants to reduce his drinking.

You also need to look up Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome and read up.

As Robin has mentioned, this is a British forum and most advice will be from the UK, although there are one or two from the States. I'm sure Paul will be along to reply, although his business keeps him very busy these days, so do be patient.

• Posted

Thank you.  My wish for him is to go to rehab after the detox but I think he thinks detox is going to be the magic pill.  He is so gung ho about this and I don't want to dissuade him, but if he doesn't do at least a month of rehab I am afraid he would be setting himself up for a relapse.  And from what I have read, a relapse is very dangerous also.  So are you saying "CampraL" could help curb alcohol cravings after he goes through detox?  And yes, he wants to stop altogether.   

• Posted

Also, I didn't mean to hijack this post, so I started my own.  Thanks

• Posted

Use the Sinclair method for alcohol detox.

I'm using Librium to do a Xanax taper as the half life is much longer.

Take Naltrexone 1 hour before you drink and in a short period the most you will want is 2 drinks.

Naltrexone thru GoodRX is about 30.00 a month and the Librium is cheaper.  This is without insurance.  I'm taking 450mg Wellbutrin and 50mg Naltrexone daily for weight loss.  It's basically a low budget Contrave. I used to drink 4-6 beers after work and now 2 if any and I'm good.  Librium makes you sleepy so watch that.

• Posted

I'm not a doctor, just telling you what I am doing.  I use Alpha Lipoic Acid and NAC to protect my liver. Seems to be working for me.

• Posted

To anyone reading this thread at a later date, please note that The Sinclair Method is NOT a detox plan.

If someone is drinking enough that alcohol withdrawals is a risk, then they should be assessed by a doctor to see if a proper medical detox is required BEFORE starting The Sinclair Method, especially if someone has experienced elements of alcohol withdrawals previously, and what their current state of health is.

Yes, although The Sinclair Method involves a gradual reduction in drinking, everyone is different.  For some, it the first-blocking effects of the tablet MAY mean that they could go from a bottle of vodka, or a couple of bottles of wine a day right down to not wanting a drink at all within the space of 24-48 hours.  This drastic reduction may bring on alcohol withdrawals if it should affect someone so drastically in this way.

So, people should get properly assessed by a doctor so that the doctor can take their individual circumstances and current state of health into account before beginning any treatment for their alcohol misuse.

• Posted

The Sinclair Method isn’t part of a detox plan. The Librium is supposed to make you sleepy. Basically it’s sort of replacing alcohol to make withdrawal safer and to make the detox as pain free as possible. By sleeping you’re not experiencing the withdrawal symptoms. The last detox I had, I more or less slept the first two days and nights which is the worst time

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.