I am trying to get off of 25 MCG fentanyl patch but...

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have dental surgery coming up and after 5 miserable days of withdrawel it looks like I will have to start this nasty withdrawel from scratch post- op. 

My family doctor doesn't know that I am trying to go off it on my own and I have to go in for urine sample and I need the fentanyl to show up in my urine. How long will it take, after applying the patch, for it to show up in a urine sample?  I want that nasty patch off until my dental op.  But on for urine test. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Janet, I wouldn't know for sure but the patch should be in your system within a few days , you don't say how long you been on the patch but I shouldn't come off the patch on your own I would talk to the doc tell him/ her why you want to come off it.i can imagine why! 
  • Posted

Janet 

You need to pick your time properly and have the support of all around you including your GP when coming of fentanyl. As brutal sd the withdrawal is its not dangerous but simply wont happen inless you are prepared. Ask your local drugs support team about a lofexodine detox which i did 45 days ago. i noticed a "but" in your question and whislt that exists you wont be able to do it.

• Posted

I have been on 700mcg-that started 7 1/2 years ago-and now I have worked myself down to 50mcg transdermal fentanyl and after having five days without the 50 patch on, I now need to put it back on for dental surgery. I don't want to talk to my doctor about this yet-I really want to try it on my own and if I can't do it then I will stay on the 50 patch. I just can't stand the constipation and now the rectal prolapse it has caused. I need to do a urinalysis for my doctor and I want to know how many hours it will take for the fentanyl  to show up on my urine test because I want to remove the patch immediately after until I have my dental surgery.
    • Posted

Your doctor should be delighted if you have kicked fentanyl and it no longer shows on your urine test , nobody goes on fent for improving their health. The problem as I see it is that if you come off without him knowing then you will still have access to it and after 2 weeks of chronc fatigue and cravings and thinking it will never end the temptation to reapply would be immense. Any way good luck with your plan if I can support your  detox let me know.
    • Posted

Your doctor should be delighted if you have kicked fentanyl and it no longer shows on your urine test , nobody goes on fent for improving their health. The problem as I see it is that if you come off without him knowing then you will still have access to it and after 2 weeks of chronc fatigue and cravings and thinking it will never end the temptation to reapply would be immense. Any way good luck with your plan if I can support your  detox let me know.
    • Posted

Thank you for your comments, even though I have been on this medication and a combination of several other narcotics, I do not have an addictive craving for them even though my body is going through detox. I have no desire whatsoever to ever use this medication or others like it again! I have had old bottles of several different forms of morphine in my drawer for six years and never ever think of touching them. I hate narcotic opioid medications!

thank you for your kind offer to assist in any support with my detox, I will certainly keep you in mind if I have any questions or concerns.

good night from Canada!💞😃

• Posted

The drug will show traces in 8 to 12 hours and sometimes less.
    • Posted

Thank you, that was exactly what I needed to know😄.  Mangooner, I would give you 12 votes if I could, LOL! Thank you for answering my question directly as it was written. I really appreciate the information. Good night from Canada!😃💞
    • Posted

... as for the constipationj, I use a product daily called Mira Lax (powder

form) and it make that problem  go away.

Regards and good luck,

• Posted

Milk of magnesia is the only thing that works for my constipation and it has a lot of side effects of its own. My constipation is permanent-at least that is what my surgeon and gastroenterologist tell me. Diagnosed as bowel sounds absent with no nerve signal reaching my large intestine.  Going off the patch is my way of being absolutely sure that the constipation is permanent and not due to side effects from the patch. The withdrawal is brutal!
  • Posted

You are on Morphine patches. The first thing you must do is see your GP.

If you are serious about coming off fentinyl then you should ask the Dr to put you on 12mcg.

You will have gone through serious withdrawal symptoms and what you did was dangerous. Your Dr isn't going to be annoyed that you want to decrease the

Morphine but you MUST fo this sensibly.

Has your pain decreased and you xo not need them any longer?

Please be,careful this is,a dangerous classified drug. You will.know that because you have to sign for it twice ( a controlled drug).

Are you frightened of the dentist?

Why is it so important you stop before you see the dentist?

I can't understand that.

Be honest with your Dr he will be pleased not annoyed.

Thinking.of you xx

• Posted

Thank you for your comment, it's very complicated for me.  Dental surgery is painful and I am already in a great deal of physical pain from having broken my back and shattered my heel, punctured lung and busted ribs in 2007 after a 20 foot fall when a ramp collapsed and I was buried under all the people and debris, as well as suffering from fibromyalgia.

and yes, I am terrified of the dentist, lol!

i wish I could taper down from the 50 to a 12mcg but we don't have 12mcg patches available in Canada. 😢

i had my first surgery today and I have already removed the patch again. 

Due to the full rectal prolapse that I have from the constipation from this medication I cannot tolerate it-I would rather be in pain and in my wheelchair all the time.

my life stopped following my accident 7 1/2 years ago and I continue to stay alive because I have a 29-year-old daughter who would be devastated if I took my own life. I used to be extremely active and independent and now I am stuck in a wheelchair and cannot leave my home on my own or be alone and this is NO life! But I love my child and will stay on this earth for her sake.

thank you for your comments and thank you to everyone else who has commented as well. Good evening and good night from Canada!💞👋

• Posted

I also wanted to mention as you brought it up, in Canada we do not have to sign at all for our medications. I take a prescription to my pharmacy and it is filled and no one signs anything or pays any money. My insurance company covers everything thank goodness!

I definitely went through and horrific detox I'll buy myself a year and a half ago when I stopped cold turkey from taking 150 mg of Demerol, 40 mg of Hydromorphone and eight OxyContin tablets every day. Following that nasty detox I slowly went from 700mcg of fentanyl Per day-7×100 MCG patches-and got myself down to just one 50 MCG patch which I have not worn for five days and I did put it back on for six hours today when I went to the dentist but took it two hours after I got home.  I am definitely having difficulty sleeping, restless kicking legs at night and all my joints and muscles ache and I am exhausted and the pain is next to unbearable but I will make this work! I hate medications! Thank you for all your advice, it is appreciated. Good night from Canada!😃💞

• Posted

Good morning everyone! Firstly, I would like to thank you all for your support and your comments. They are greatly appreciated. It has been a most difficult night.  Besides not being able to sleep, the most difficult withdrawal symptom is the constant need to move my legs because they feel like I need to kick them, they feel like there are cold electrical currents running through them. I am so exhausted, the pain from my injuries is back 100% and I can barely walk to metres to the washroom. I spent most of last night crying and hitting my pillows, thrashing and in so much physical pain, I would rate it at an eight out of 10. I also had to take milk of magnesium or for the constipation last night so now I have had burning diarrhea for the past four hours and it is all I can do to make it to the bathroom because of the physical pain.  The sleeping pills and clonazepam, aken twice throughout the night, did not enable me to sleep at all. I finally fell asleep for 45 minutes this morning but I woke up with diarrhea and the incessant thrashing. 

This is day three-put patch back on for dental surgery and removed afterwards-but had previously had the patch off for five days and the severity of my symptoms, wow, it's like starting all over again.

does anyone have any suggestions to ease the thrashing sensation in my legs? Baths do not help.

• Posted

A quick update for everyone that has been so kind as to offer me support and share their experiences: last night I went to the emergency by ambulance and the doctor put me on 10 mg of Valium. He said withdrawal from Fentanyl is quite similar to alcohol withdrawal and I can expect the symptoms to last anywhere from three weeks to up to four months.  Not much anyone can do but ride the wave. He thinks the Valium will help me to get some sleep and possibly help with the spasming muscles that cause my legs to kick and hurt all night.  Again, thank you to everyone, best regards from Janet in Canada.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.