I am walking with a cane because of body weakness and numbness and do not know what is causing it

Posted , 1 user is following.

Back in 2017, at age 25, I had what the doctors called a TIA or mini-stroke. Days leading up to it I had serious nerve pain and weakness throughout my body. My shoulders and feet felt like they had bricks on them. I stroked out in the waiting room of the hospital with the whole left side of my body going slack. I couldn't put a sentence, much less a word, together.

They ran all the tests over the next three days including 1 CAT Scan, 2 MRI's and drew large quantities of blood to test for everything including Lyme, Guillain Barre, and all of the other auto immune conditions possible and came up with nothing. They sent me back home because they couldn't find anything truly wrong with me. For the next month and a half I had body weakness, stiff neck, serious trouble walking, depressed mood. I went to the physician, neurologist, the infectious doctor and even a naturopath and none of them found anything wrong with me that they could test for.

My physician put me on doxy for four months because he thought I had Lyme disease (which is still a very probable competitor in the list of diseases I could possibly have) even though the blood test was negative. At the end of July 2017 I had a spinal tap done to rule out Guillain Barre. This test was inconclusive and only stated only "slightly raised bands" for Lupus and MS, which according to doctors is not conclusive.

Since the original incident I have had symptoms on and off, though not serious enough to cause issues until last year (March 2021) when I had serious body weakness and had to walk with a cane for two and a half months yet again. I didn't go to see a doctor cause I figured it would just ware itself out like it had in the past.

A week ago my symptoms started up again with numbness, body weakness, depressed mood, etc. I went to the ER this past Wednesday where they drew tons of blood and every test came up clean including another negative test for Lyme. I am waiting to get another MRI, but they cannot take me until 2 weeks to a month from now.

This issue seems cyclical as it comes up every spring-summer and I don't know if that is a facet of the illness or just random coincidence.

I hope someone can help me with this issue. I would really appreciate any insight that you can give. Thanks

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.