I am worried about slightly low eGFR 62

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had shock several months ago and was on dialysis for two weeks and my kidneys started to work. November I had eGFR 52 and Creatinine 1.56. Jan 5th 2018 It improved, I had eGFR 62 and Creatinine 1.35 It is May 2nd and I go for another blood test soon for May 21st appointment. I don't have proteinuria or haemuria or any kidney disease and I am 47 non black male very worried.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Beau,

I think we can all understand on some level what you're going through. The mental battle that goes with all this kidney stuff can be quite challenging.

Nothing but good thoughts for you as you wait your new set of labs. And, let us know how they turn out. (I'm waiting out another set of labs in s few weeks as well. I feel my own stress level raising as the labs get closer too🐶wink

Marj

• Posted

I will Marj. I have read people have very stable kidney function for 20 or 30 years. I hope your results go well. Do you have off eGFR numbers too?
    • Posted

Yes, my creatinine is 2.75 and my eGFR is 18 so I'm in Stage IV. I do expect I'll be put on dialysis at some point in the not too distant future; although I'm hoping my kidneys will stabilize at this level for 2-3 more years.

Marj

• Posted

This is Beau 47 year old male non African American and I just got my lab results . eGFR is up from 62 to 72 my creatinine went from 1.35 to 1.19. All my numbers have are in the normal range.
    • Posted

Thank you Marj. My co2 is 34. A little out of range. I go May 21st 2018 to my Nurse Practitioner to discuss my blood test. I am concerned. I was in hospital for 21 days in Sept. 2017. I was on double life support. I had cardiac arrest and organ failure. I am really lucky. I just can't it out of my head. I have a really hard time. I go on May 23rd 2018 to meet the Paramedics who revived me to say thank you. I haven't worked in 8 months. I am just taking it one day at a time. Hard to comprehend. Very difficult for my family and friends. I don't know how to overcome Chronic Kidney Disease.

• Posted

You say they brought you back to life? Do you remember anything from when you died? I died as a child and have talked to other people that have died. The getting dead was painful but once I was gone there was no pain. We all seem to have similar experiences, seeing people, etc., etc. 
    • Posted

Fran,

My father was declared dead medically and then came back to us too several years ago. He definitely talked about seeing family members who had already passed. He also described a great sense of peace; so much so that he really wanted to stay, i.e., not come back. It was approximately 10 years later when he actually passed away. He enjoyed those years. But he definitely seemed to look forward to passing over, as he used to call it, when God chose to call him home. I still have vivid memories of the peace he had about his inevitable passing following his death experience.

My mother, who had terminal cancer, did not have a death experience like dad did, but toward the end of life she definitely described seeing friends and family who had already passed, including my father. She, too, was a devote Christian and so looked forward to going to heaven. But I was struck with the sense of peace that settled over her during her final few weeks of life. She actually said to me once that there were friends and family waiting for her where she was going ...

After seeing this with both of my parents I've thought we maybe shouldn't be so fearful of death. And yet, we do seem to struggle with our mortality don't we? My mortality has certainly been on my mind as I've grappled with chronic kidney disease.

Marj

• Posted

I believe in God. However when I was gone for 14 minutes and then a week coma I don't remember anything. Just absolute peace😀

• Posted

Marj, I am not afraid of being dead, not at all. What I am being very carefully about is making sure my Drs know I don't want to suffer in the dying process, symptom relief and maybe some ritaline to keep me more alert during that time so I can still communicate with friends and family. When I was brought back I was not a happy camper! My poor Mom didn't understand why I was so upset. I was upset because I was in a wonderful state, a perfect sense of being. I actually look forward to going "home" again. There is no feeling like it in the world, everything about it is perfect. Now the suffering we go through to get there is what I need to manage, lol. Your parents were right, you get to see family and friends, they are so happy to see you and you to see them again. I could go for hours about this but what I'm getting at is that we should try and minimize our suffering HERE, that's it. Yes I enjoy the time I am here, I love being around my family and friends, life's pleasures, YES,  but I know there is something better on the other side. I'm a Christan so I don't believe in rushing things, we each have our time of exit, I trust in Gods will. But I don't fear death at all, there are things worse than death. When someone dies I cry, but not for them, I cry for me because I will miss them.

I notice some CKD patience get depressed, I feel for them because I think as I mourn over a loved one I will miss, they are mourning a life of good health they will no longer have. I think if they can get to the point of accepting their loss of their health they will come out of their depression and can enjoy and cherish the time they have here. I don't know, I don't understand anxiety or depression, to me it's just life and with it come all sorts of challenges so I just deal with them. And someday I know I will be free of all the discomforts of life and what I will have is bliss. Maybe it's because I got a preview of what is to come? 

• Posted

Fran,

I agree with you completely. I did get to see how medical professionals can effectively manage pretty intense pain while my mother was in comfort care the final weeks of her life. She had cancer and so was in quite a lot of pain. However, once she was admitted to the hospital for comfort care, they set up a pain management system that was very effective for her. 

Consequently, I expect that my medical team will be able to do the same for me. But, as you say, it is critical to talk with our medical teams about these issues numerous times as we make decisions regarding our renal failure care. Of course, our family and friends will also play a critical role in all of this as well. They will need to keep an eye on our care at that point to ensure that our wishes are honored.

Marj

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.