I am worried about starting Escitalopram and never coming off the pills

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been suffering from anxiety and stress and alongside CBT, I have been prescribed Escitalopram. Having read many of the posts in the discussion group, I am worried that I will become dependent on this or similar drugs for years. Will this drug help me move towards a drug-free solution to my problems or will it just be a cover up for years to come?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I don't really see it as a cover-up.  I see it more as fixing what is wrong in our brains...sorting out what causes our anxiety and allowing us to function normally.  So yes, if the drugs help you, you could be on them indefinitely - but that's not necessarily a bad thing.   I've taken it for about 7 years now with great success.  Tried to come off and it didn't go well so I'm back on.  I think it's important to do whatever it takes to find your normal.  Good luck to you!

• Posted

Thank you for your post. It was very helpful and supportive. Thank you .
  • Posted

Hi, I agree totally with Jennifer and also if these tablets give you good quality of life as they do for me I'm all for it! I've been on them for a year and a half and they make me function when I wasn't before due to my anxiety

I also think if my dr told me I needed a heart med or I had diabities I would have to have meds probably and don't see the difference! 

Good luck with your journey, hope this has helped 

• Posted

Thank you for the last reply. I think  point about the right medication for different health issues is good and does put things into perspective. My issue was about coming to terms with anxiety and depression. It took much courage to admit to myself that things weren’t right and it was then painful and an emotional experience talking to health professionals. Thank you for your support - it is very helpful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.