I ate a fairly large quantity of spicy Indian food two days ago, and have been severe problems

Posted , 6 users are following.

Since consuming this food, I have had multiple severe symptoms, including heartburn, bloating, gas, diarrhea, fever, chills, headache, and COMPLETE loss of appetite (no food for 48 hours). I have tried OTC medications and supplements, to no avail. Any advice? Should I go to an urgent care clinic?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I  recently had severe bloat, stomach gas, belching to the point I was afraid to eat  I drank Kombucha probiotic tea/sparkling drink  for two days and felt 80% better. Most  grocery stores and target now sells it as well as whole  foods. I also purchased Multi-Enzyme from The Vitamin Shoppe  for $8.99 and worked wonders. all my bloat, gas, acid reflux  went away  but if you have  fever  and chills you may have a tad food poisioning I wonder?  I would talk to a doctor to be safe

• Posted

Well now you know, no hot indian food for you.

What to do, get some ant acid tablets, across the counter from the chemist, they do have a tendency to give you the runs as a side effect, but you already have that.

BLAND food for maybe as much as a week. today heat some milk, and sip slowly, that should help settle your stomach, NO GREASY food for say a week, that means no bacon, no lamb chops, you can eat chicken, and or fish, not cooked in oil, maybe just a smear on the bottom of the pan to stop it sticking, but no more, with peas or beans, even give to potato as pass, for some even that can make stomach angry.

Stay away from beer or coffee, coke cola, chocolate, onions, garlic, in fact anything with any spice or flavouring in it.

You pooor stomach needs a rest regards food, you can try some yoghurt, get some with acidophlus in it, DO NOT eat the whole lot, just a spoon full say three times a day, it will also help your tum.

Best wishes from a gastristis sufferer, I have had years of angry stomach, and that above is what I do when I eat something I should not.

Then its a matter of trying not to eat something that you know upsets you, occasionally have been caught out, and been sent back to my restrictions until tum has recovered.

• Posted

Any vomiting. If so you need rehydration. Pedia-lite will help you to get fluids you have lost. No food it might be food poisoning. Just soups like chicken noodle soup. Or chicken broth. You need fluids to feel better. If it is food poisoning it should pass in a week. If not go to ER for fluids and pain meds. Urgent care might no be what you need. Feel better. Hang in there.
  • Posted

Thank you for the responses. I still had no improvement and the lack of ability to keep anything down was becoming concerning, so I went to see the Doctor. She is of the opinion that it is acute gastritis brought on by contaminated food (e.g. food poisoning). So, I will just have to take the antibiotics and will try the food recommendations you guys provided. Ugh, I'm that person that never gets sick, so I absolutely hate it on the rare occasions when I do lol. Thank you again for the feedback.

• Posted

Have u tried gaviscon if the acid reflux has burnt ur gullet gaviscon will help drink plenty of water sound like ibs but if u don't feel any better in a couple of days I d book an apt with ur doctor best wishes hun

• Posted

Maybe you got food poisoning if you have fever and chills.  Stick to bland foods and avoid anything rich, fatty or spicy.  Milk is very soothing for an angry stomach.  Perhaps try that. If it doesn’t improve within a week, see your doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.