I.B.S

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've had a terrible weekend it's started Saturday afternoon with stomach pains Either side of my stomach that slowly got worse and meeting in the middle it felt like labour pains I really didn't know what to do with my self desperately wanted to be sick but couldn't , had to keep going to the toilet but didn't have diarrhoea, my stomach was bloated and it felt as if someone had a pump and they were pumping air into my stomach. Obviously I spent all of yesterday sleeping and lacking in energy still had pain through the night. I know IBS is common with fibromyalgia I seem to get constipated and then have a day sitting on the toilet . Anyone else have the same problem , or have any suggestions that would help diet wise or anything else helpful please

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Have you been tested for Gluten intolerance Tina? That is what I had and did not know for half of my life. I am a Celiac so no wonder I had such terrible digestive problems. The doc can do a Gliaden test if you have not already Tina. 
    • Posted

Hi I've not been tested for anything it's seems to be quite a new thing something that I've not had as bad as this before I'm still getting cramping in my stomach it's always hard to know if it's IBS or some kind of stomach bug. What dose testing involve ?

• Posted

Testing usually involves a colonoscopy.

I have the same problems but refused to have a colonoscopy.

My Dr. told me that he thinks it is IBS but the colonoscopy would rule out other things like "colitis"....

• Posted

It is just a blood test sweetie. No colonoscopy! If you have high antigliaden, the norm is about 25 I was 125, then you need to adjust your diet and eliminate gluten. I cannot tell you the relief I experienced when I did. No more bloating or gas etc. Only if I cheated which I don't. 

• Posted

my Dr is the best in my state and he said I needed a colonoscopy..never tested me for antigliaden..interesting.

• Posted

Yes simple to get tested Missy. It was my GP that suspected Gluten Intolerance. I am very grateful for his insight. I had had it all my life and only found out in my early 40's. They even say that if you eliminate Gluten in your diet and you feel relief, that it could be a strong indicator. 

• Posted

Hi Tina.  Yes I get the same problem although luckily not too often as its controlled by my meds but last week I spent nearly an hour on the loo with severe constipation and yes it felt like I was giving birth. Like you I was exhausted afterwards.  Have you seen your gp to get anymeds? Personally I just try to watch what I eat.  Rich food will totally upset my tummy so again I take meds but only if I know I am likly to be having rich things, I also try not to drink anything with caffeine after my tea I resort to herbal drinks.  Peppermint is especially good I find for my troubles. Bread also can upset things so I just monitor my intake a little.  Its all about trial and error. 
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply which meds do you take ? I think I will see my GP this week I don't get it that often but when I do it knocks me off my feet I spent all yesterday asleep and today I feel like somone has kicked me in the stomach always seems to be something I can't believe how much pain it causes I was in tears didn't know what to do with myself wanted to be sick but couldn't

• Posted

Hi Tina.  I take amitriptyline.  This is for my firbromyalgia and used for IBS too.  I take cocodamol aswell for my fibromyalgia.  Plus other meds for other things too. See your GP and see what he suggests. It can cause tremendous pain sadly. 
  • Posted

Hi Tina I do have some of the same problemsin constipation terrible pain in stomach and also diarrhoea but am wondering do you suffer with high temps when you have this flare up. I also can't eat or drink noting even water which is worrying the last 1 I had was really bad have you been referred to see gastroenterolois my GP referred me cos after haven camera for stomach and biopsy for bowel an other tests I have enlarged bowel which cud be either ibs or ibd.

There is a app thato I was told about to help with diet it was called monash hope this helps kirsty x

• Posted

I have seen my GP yet about this problem it's the second time I've had this I don't have a temperature with it in fact the opposite I know that nuts seem to be linked to my flare ups it's taken two days to feel well obviously it's hard to know if it's IBS or a bug thank you for your reply really helpful

• Posted

This started up for me about two months ago! With some googling I found the FODMAP diet. Hard to understand. But I'm just loosely following it and having relief. I hope it helps you! I can't wait to go to the doctor on the 18th. Intended to address IBS and blood sugar problems. But I've just discovered I have a LOT of fibromyalgia symptoms!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.