I became creepy, scared a good friend away and the regret makes me want to die.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, everyone. I've been dealing with extreme depression for the vast majority of my life (since I was twelve, in fact) but only rarely have I felt that death would be an option for me. I had always thought of myself as friendly, extroverted, empathetic and kind-hearted; intelligent, witty, and even assertive when need be. I had/have many great friends, a decent job, and a supportive family (aside from my father); but at the same time, I have also suffered from a host of personal issues, both mental and emotional, that have interfered with my life, robbing me of so much; yet still, I have tried to soldier on, to weather the storm and see past the darkness towards brighter things... but now I'm not so positive. Something serious, so deeply regretful, has happened in my life which has confirmed what I'd always thought true: that I'll never be a normal person; that I'll never be deserving of good relationships; and that eventually people will be hurt by me, unless I take control now and kill myself.

I once had a very close friend in my life whom I had treasured deeply, and for two years it was thought we would always be together; but over time, I became paranoid that they would leave me. I started following (though stalking would be more apt) them around everywhere, messaging them constantly when they were online, getting upset then they wouldn't talk to me after a short period, and becoming jealous of the time they spent with other friends. Typical clingy behaviour, basically. I thought our friendship would end and did everything to "save" it... only to discover too late that I was just being delusional.

Eventually, they had enough and blocked me entirely: on Discord, social media, and in the same MMORPG we used to play (and where we originally met). I was devastated, but instead of giving them space, I wound up breaking the No Contact Rule by trying to circumvent their block and contacting them again through a secondary account on both Twitter and that same MMO. Needless to say, that was the final straw and now our friendship is irreparably broken. Even if well-meaning, I further ruined things. I lacked the willpower to respect their boundaries, and my poor attempt to apologize made me come across as a desperate creep they are actively avoiding.

Everyone tells me now that my best bet is to just "move on", work on improving myself, and look towards the future; to stop thinking of this friend I've chased away. But honestly, what is the point? Every day I live in regret and shame over what happened, and the guilt is tearing me up inside. I still WANT to apologize, to try and salvage things between us, or at least find closure... but I know that I can't. And that hurts more than anything, being aware of how much damage you've done and needlessly hurting someone so special because you thought your relationship was in danger of collapsing. Talk about a self-fulfilled prophecy.

I'm just tired of living with the pain now. This happened seven months ago now, and I just don't see a way out from the suffering; the regret will always be with me. Am I selfish for wanting to die now and making my remaining friends, those who haven't also abandoned me since, sad, too? Perhaps. But I think continuing to live, knowing that no one will see you the same because of what you've done, is even worse. There are enough worse people on this planet without me being around to potentially make things worse for better folk, so it's best that I die. My death would be a net positive to the world's health, even if it's just a small benefit.

I want to die. I just want to die. There is nothing left in this life but misery and loneliness, and I just want peace.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi onlywinonce,

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologise for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen.

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need.

If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help.

If you are based outside of the UK.

The Samaritans is a UK based charity, but they also have suggestions for how you can access help in other countries.

Please have a look at this page https://www.befrienders.org/directory

Patient

• Edited

all i can say is i know how it feels to want to kill yourself instead of face the consequences of some bad mistakes. i've messed up some pretty big things in my life and always afterwards felt like i just couldn't face the world any more. i just want to let you know i've spent decades of my life thinking that way, and i still do. i honestly feel like i've just got to kill myself before i make any more mistakes, before i hurt any more people. but i'm still alive. i just cant seem to commit suicide. its not that easy to do. dont be like me. dont waste your whole life making mistakes and being suicidal. its really quite a bore. we all make mistakes. a lot of them. no one is perfect. be kinder to yourself.

• Posted

Self-destructive thoughts are very easy to get over our heads. Consider talking to someone close to you. Discuss whatever is happening. It is very important that these feelings are understood.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.