i been Depressed for 1 and a half month now due to sensorimotor obsession. should i take medicine?

Posted , 3 users are following.

First i will start telling something about myself, i am a young adult just graduated from uni one year ago (no job yet but i am not worried), i have a happy and health childhood with loving family and very much satisfy with my life. i have no previous problem regarding my psychical or mental health

Basically what happen is around one month and two ago i decided to take a nap but it was very hot and humid so i woke up aware of my breathing, then i have a massive panic/anxiety attack that go like "what if i keep remember this for the rest of my life”, “my life is ruined" etc. thoughts like that. And then the next 2 week is like the most hellish, torturous and depressing time i have ever experienced. I lost interest in everything from watching TV, reading books, and playing games and no appetite. Wake up early like 6am, every minute is like an hours being bored out of mind and became fearful of how to pass the day.  So I became really frustrated because all this can be solve if I can just simply wipe my memory of this happening. And basically consume with suicidal thoughts and Afraid of being alone.

Then I basically come to term being aware of breathing, although I am still very much constantly aware of breathing and waking up with the thought of breathing, I slowly regain interest in other activity although it is still uncomfortable I find it to be tolerable.

Fast forward to last Thursday, I became aware of swallowing(the sensation of spit in your month) and yeah as you can guess my situation worsen and revert back to start(but not as bad) and now I have random adrenaline rush (hard to stay still, pacing forward and backward) I am guessing this is minor panic attack.

Summary- had a sudden and random panic/anxiety attack about being aware of breathing and can’t stop think about breathing and becoming depressed and anxious. And basically anxious for being anxious and so trap in a cycle.

I had this for about 1 and a half month now, Should I wait or go to see a GP ask for medication for anxiety? Or tell her to refer me to a psychiatrist?  Will it help me to forget about breathing?

Funny thing is I had become aware of breathing before and I was able to forget about it in a day or two but because of me becoming anxious about it, it became impossible to forget about it

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Very common anxiety/ocd symptoms. Please do see a gp to discuss treatment. Therapy Is a better option than meds - meds will not help you resolve any issues which cause the problems. Only therapy can do that for you.
    • Posted

you said it is common but how treatable is it? what sort of time they do in therapy? i think now i kinda dont really care about being aware of breathing, but anxious of being anxious.

Its really taking over my life and havent been happy since it started

• Posted

Anxiety and ocd is treatable, be it with meds or therapy or both. It does take time but it does improve with treatment. Therapy -/its different for everyone and there's a lot of different approaches, your gp should refer you to a therapist who will tailor your treatment, its very individual
    • Posted

Thx. actually i have seen a gp before when i first got it, on my first treatment i am feeling serverly depressed and have constant sucidal thought but she sent sent me home and told me to come back in two week see if it is still the same. and by that time i suddenly starting to feel better. still constant aware of breathing from my waking moment but not really depressed anymore. and she bascally just sent me home saying everything is fine. i guess that partly my fault because i didnt commicate more clearly about my anxiety(that time i thought i was just being depressed)

the thing is i think myself as a health normal person and deep down belive this will pass like a phase(but another part of me keep feeling anxious). so i feel seeking medical/therapy help makes me a permanently insane person. also by going to therapy and taking medicine wont that just remind me?

ahh if only there is something that can wipe my memory of last month or two or hell even last year

• Posted

I would say first - see a different gp and ask for therapy, don't wait for them to offer it.  Treatment isn't a reminder, because sorry to say you can't just ignore it - as you've found out it doesnt go away. Therapy can help, meds can help some but for me I don't want meds, I'll stick to therapy 
    • Posted

To be honest, i dont really care being aware of breathing anymore. but i am anxious for being anxious if you know what i mean.

btw can you tell me a little about your therapy and how it helps?

• Posted

hello theresmile i totally realte to what you are describing and am feeling the excat same way. I see that you posted this a year ago and would love to hear how you are currenty feeling and what yiu have done to help yourself..

thanks! hope to hear good news on your behalf

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.