I beg someone help me- what is this noise when I breathe in? Is it asthma?

Posted , 6 users are following.

hello i havent been diagnosed with asthma or anything related to my breathing really. but over the last couple of months ive noticed my breathing and chest getting worse and worse- feeling like i cant get a full breath, chest feeling tight as id someone was standing on it so im gasping for air. smoke and aerosols make it much worse and cause me to cough so much im nearly sick. this week i have developed this awful noise involunatarily coming out my throat every time i inhale and breathe in. not exhale, just inhale, right at the end. any ideas what could be wrong? im worried and scared 😢

im female, 26, and im 34 weeks pregnant but im

not sure thats related. no temperature at all and ive been shielding so not likely to be covid since its been going on for ages but is getting worse slowly.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cat 67407

It must be worrying for you to have a change in your breathing and as you are pregnant probably even more so.

There are wiser posters on here who may be able to give you some further insight but from what you have said it is impossible to definitely diagnose asthma from your symptoms.

I know the medical world has been turned upside down with Covid at the moment but every GP's surgery that I have heard of is open and are dealing with patients. You would need to telephone and tell (probably) the Receptionist your symptoms and she will almost certainly ask a doctor to call you back - usually within a couple of hours.

When you speak to a doctor they will either prescribe something to help you by 'phone (sending the prescription direct to a chemist you choose) or, ask you to come and see them. Most surgeries have 'hot' (i.e. dealing with probable Covid patients) or 'cold', (dealing with non-Covid patients) hubs and you would be directed to one or the other.

I was at my doctor's surgery the other day and their precautions were admirable and I have no worries about contracting Covid whilst there.

As you are quite heavily pregnant, do think about ringing for some medical advice, as simple treatment for asthma will not harm your baby and will make you feel so much better. Just be honest when the Receptionist triages you (i.e. asks you questions about how you are and if you have any cough, high temperature etc).

Everyone here knows how awful it is not be a simple thing such as breathing! Please ring today and ask to see a doctor so you can be sorted out with whatever your problem is.

Please let us know your outcome...

• Posted

Hi, I have asthma and there are so many different types. I would say definately either ring NHS 111 or your GP. I rang 111 as I was struggling to breathe a few weeks ago and they sent out a fast responder who was here in 10 minutes, did an ECG, checked my temp, listened to my chest etc. She diagnosed an asthma attack and gave me appropriate advice and an inhaler . O already had the inhaler but its standard practice. As you are pregnant I think its extremely important and it will put your mind at rest.

• Posted

Hi Cat 67407

pinkjude is right, (and as I said too), you should contact a doctor and don't wait.

I didn't mention ringing 111 (if in the UK) as they are under great pressure at the moment so perhaps try your GP first.

If you can't contact your GP - or perhaps don't have one, then do try 111.

Let us know how you fare.

Regards.

• Posted

The sounds you described when you breathe in and out seem like wheezing, which is a major symptom of asthma. But wheezing, along with chest tightness and shortness of breath, can also have many other causes. As everyone else has advised, the only way to get diagnosed and then get treatment and relief is to see a doctor. In these COVID 19 times, it is challenging to get appointments. But your pregnancy might actually help you get seen faster.

I hope you have gotten some medical attention by now. Best wishes for a healthy beautiful baby.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.